4 month old puppy

I don't think my puppy chews his food. He pretty much inhales it, eating as fast as he possible can. Once he threw up, and I saw that the pieces of food were still intact. Is this normal, does anyone know of a way to make him eat a little slower?

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Most puppies have that problem they spend the first 6 weeks fighting with there siblings for food, even when they are still nursing from their mommies, so puppy still thinks he is not going to get it before someone else attacks it. He will out grow it when he figures out no one else wants it...............It wont hurt them, they just think they are starving, give him a little time he will adjust
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 9:07 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• A lot of dogs inhale their food. I have two "vacuums" myself and one that eats extremely slow. You can slow him down though they make these bowls that have slots him them so that the dog can't just inhale it. I use one for my biggest dog. here is a link to what I am talking about. This is not the one that I have but it is similar

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4022360

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Put a tennis ball in his bowl, it will slow him down. Or put some kind of ball that he cannot swallow in the bowl with him. Him having to eat around it will slow him down.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Perfectly normal- he will grow out of it. Congrats on the new puppy, by the way :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:31 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• You can buy special bowls that have little "pillar type spokes" in there that mean the pup has to eat slower. I have seen them in several stores here in the UK and presume they are available in the states. I have a puppy who is very easily distracted at dinner times so the direct opposite and 2 other dogs who eat with no issues so i've never dealt iwth this problem! Good luck x

Dont put a tennis ball in the dinner. You'll be surprised at the size of objects they can swallow actually!
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 5:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• put a ball in his dish or buy a dish with a raised middle section (pet smart should have them). This forces the puppy to eat slower, therefore, they don't get sick. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• lol I love it when people give the same answers that others have already given. what is the point? you got some good answers so there is no sense in me repeating them. i am happy for you that you got a puppy. i have a teeny tiny pomeranian puppy named Laci .
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Most things I've read say dogs DON'T chew their food (if they're fed kibble). Here is one site: http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/dogs-eat/

I agree with the others about the special bowls to slow down fast eaters.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:49 AM on Mar. 15, 2011