Have they found Atlantis?

NORTHAMPTON, Mass (Reuters) - A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.

"This is the power of tsunamis," head researcher Richard Freund told Reuters.

"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about," said Freund, a University of Hartford, Connecticut, professor who lead an international team searching for the true site of Atlantis.

To solve the age-old mystery, the team used a satellite photo of a suspected submerged city to find the site just north of Cadiz, Spain. There, buried in the vast marshlands of the Dona Ana Park, they believe that they pinpointed the ancient, multi-ringed dominion known as Atlantis.

The team of archeologists and geologists in 2009 and 2010 used a combination of deep-ground radar, digital mapping, and underwater technology to survey the site.

Freund's discovery in central Spain of a strange series of "memorial cities," built in Atlantis' image by its refugees after the city's likely destruction by a tsunami, gave researchers added proof and confidence, he said.

Atlantis residents who did not perish in the tsunami fled inland and built new cities there, he added.

The team's findings will be unveiled on Sunday in "Finding Atlantis," a new National Geographic Channel special.

While it is hard to know with certainty that the site in Spain in Atlantis, Freund said the "twist" of finding the memorial cities makes him confident Atlantis was buried in the mud flats on Spain's southern coast.

"We found something that no one else has ever seen before, which gives it a layer of credibility, especially for archeology, that makes a lot more sense," Freund said.

Greek philosopher Plato wrote about Atlantis some 2,600 years ago, describing it as "an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Hercules," as the Straits of Gibraltar were known in antiquity. Using Plato's detailed account of Atlantis as a map, searches have focused on the Mediterranean and Atlantic as the best possible sites for the city.

Tsunamis in the region have been documented for centuries, Freund says. One of the largest was a reported 10-story tidal wave that slammed Lisbon in November, 1755.

Debate about whether Atlantis truly existed has lasted for thousands of years. Plato's "dialogues" from around 360 B.C. are the only known historical sources of information about the iconic city. Plato said the island he called Atlantis "in a single day and night... disappeared into the depths of the sea."

Experts plan further excavations are planned at the site where they believe Atlantis is located and at the mysterious "cities" in central Spain 150 miles away to more closely study geological formations and to date artifacts.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:49 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I personally don't think so. I've watched SO many documentaries where they apparently found Atlantis that all my hope is gone in it! I'm beginning to doubt it even existed in the first place!
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 8:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I personally don't think so. I've watched SO many documentaries where they apparently found Atlantis

I know! they always say we think we found it! But I still have hope...

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It would be very cool if they did. Guess we'll just have to wait for the documentary to come out to know for sure. ;)
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think I heard about this a year or so ago (that someone was looking near Spain for Atlantis). I'm excited. I've been an Atlantis freak for most of my life.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:58 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• They have been finding Atlantis every few years now. Id need much more proof before Id say it was found. I did watch the documentary last night about this and why they think it is there blah blah. They do have some credible evidence that this city they found (not Atlantis, a supposed refugee city) had ties to Egypt. Egypt has references to Atlantis as one of the 3 major cities that gave them metals/artwork. So this was why they think it is Atlantis. However, like I said, it was in a "Refugee" city. For all we know the Refugee city just supplied Egypt too. It isnt proof.

Answer by gemgem at 9:01 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Didn't they already find Atlantis? Oh no, not really. Anything for a reason to get some publicity for some. I doubt it though it would be cool.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't know, but I think it's cool when they find any lost cities. They all help us understand the history and archaeology of an area better.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• That would be really cool. Of course, it would dash my personal dreams of finding Atlantis. Of course, I wasn't looking very hard, but it ranks up there with winning the lottery, which I never play.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:22 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Isn't that in Reno?

kissing dad

(Is that sweat pea licking the other one?)

tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2011