How to i get the ambition to start dieting and exercising?

i have been really depressed and i gained ALOT of weight. I know how to diet and exercise i just feel so freaking lazy.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Health

• Make it about your health, rather than your weight. This is how it becomes a lifestyle rather than a diet.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It can be so hard to find that motivation, and once you find that motivation....it's hard sticking with it at first. Do you have someone you can diet with? If not, i am always dieting. It REALLY helps if you can do it with someone & report to them about your progress & whatnot. I have a friend who i was supposed to start jogging with. Well...it never happened, but i started jogging anyway because i thought she was expecting me & that really gave me some motivation knowing that someone was expecting me to jog with them & keep it up. It helped out so much. i can't jog for shit, but i am getting better. It feels so good when you realize your stamina has improved!

how tall are you & how much do you weigh? I can help you on your diet if you want. Send me messages, tell me how you're doing, ask me for advice. I am FULL of info when it comes to dieting. I'll tell ya how to eat & how to get moving!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:16 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• turn Dora off and turn on the music and start "doing things" grab those weights and lift, lift, lift! run those stairs a few time and climb, climb, climb! then dance dance, dance!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• With the weather changing and FINALLY warming up its going to get a lot easier........................... Walk in the early morning hours it's so peaceful................Unfortunately only you can do this, no one can do it for you, just tell yourself "I have got to do this for me" and everyone needs me time once you start it will get easier and the great part is you will feel better...........good luck
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 9:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• That helps so much when the kids are on your side my 17 yo makes sure Im out the door in the morning she always tells me, "Mom- do it for me if you can't do it for yourself I want you here for my babies when I have some" There is nothing better than you children!!!!
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 9:15 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• im right there with ya jenn. i am in the same boat and i really want to lose the weight but i just cant get motivated. i did just lift some weights but now i dont want to do anything. ughhhhh its so hard just to get started
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Instead of turning on the computer or the television...turn on some music and dance. This might be a great jumping off point. Good Luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:31 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I am having a really hard time with motivation too : /
    I wish I had it but when you are the only one in the house who wants to do something about losing weight and you neve NO one you know within at least 5oo miles of you it's REALLY REALLY hard

*I do go to belly dance classes once a week with my daughter though and LOVE it-even though I suck...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:41 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• That's awesome that your son is supportive and wanting to help. Take him up on it. Also I really recommend reading a few books such as Jillian Michaels "Master your Metabolism" and the book "Skinny Bitch" they are both eye opening about the crap we put into our mouths. Those alone as a huge motivator to change not just your eating habits but your entire families. And when you do so well with that it's easier and easier to want to help those healthy foods bby doing some sort of exercise each day! Any small milestone you reach is a great motivator to keep going.

One motivator I recently signed up for is a 5K in 4 weeks. I've never done a 5K so now I have to walk and jog and get ready for it. I also signed up for a bike race in June.....which will motivate me to train for that as well.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would like to add that my teenager is wonderful, he says to me, "mom- we are going to start walking, no excuses. " I have such great boys.
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Mar. 14, 2011