How do you get your kid's to eat more veggies?

is there any way that I can get my children to eat more fruits and veggies? any suggestions would be great. We have tried putting cheese sauce over their veggies but I need some other ideas also

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I make her eat her veggies FIRST. If she wants her mac n cheese, or her pizza, or her chick nuggets.....she has to eat her veggies first. We've been doing this since she was 15 months, so it's habit here. We eat all our veggies first, then we serve up the main course. Works like a charm.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:24 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• We've always had the rule "You don't have to like it, you have to eat it" What we would do is if they didn't like a certain fruit or veggie they just didn't get as much(we called it the no thank you serving) but still had to eat what was given. As time went by all my boys ended up liking every fruit or veggie we had. We aso try to let the kids be involved with making meals, for some reason that seemed to make a difference with my boys. Kind of like it was thier idea to make the choosen veggie. Good luck!

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:26 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I wish I could help. My 6yo asks for broccoli and carrots for dinner. Plus he loves salad and tomatoes. I have no idea how this happened. I love it though. I've been blessed. Good luck to you though.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• my kids has always love thier veggies so i haven't had that problem but try different ones and look for different recipes to put them in.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'm in the same boat. I have pureed spinach or kale and put it in spaghetti sauce, you can't really tell the difference. I've heard of people putting sugar on veggies and fruits, to just introduce the fruit and gradually do less sugar. I've done both..unfortunately my girls don't like spaghetti sauce, so they just eat the pasta, my son will eat the sauce. He gets the most nutriets of my kids LOL I tried the sugar thing on a strawberry! A strawberry, and my 4 year old still didnt like it..I am going to start with offering the vegetable first for dinner, and if she eats it, she gets the rest of dinner, if not..she won't eat..hopefully she will eat! I'm sick of my kids not eating the good foods! Good Luck to you!
    aebrown

Answer by aebrown at 9:26 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I've added baby food vegies to things like meat loaf and speghetti sauce. You can also puree your own vegies and add it to stuff. Jerry Seinfeld's wife, Jessica has put out a cookbook with recipes where there are added vegies to different foods.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:32 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My kids love playing the Wii. I use that for leverage. No veggies = no Wii.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• my boys will eat carrots, corn, green beans, broccoli and even salad but I would like to know how to get them to eat these more often.

Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My girls will eat cooked carrots with brown sugar and honey. Have vegs more often at meal time. Add dip to make more fun. for veggies make zuccuni bread or carrot cake or even muffins might get more vegs in them. Fruits can add dip, make smoothies, milk shakes, pies, on youngt, or even vanilla ice cream. Just make them in different ways might be fun. I also do vitiimans and even those ensure side kick drinks, Have them look through cookbooks for other ideas. Sliced tomatoes are good with sugar. just make fun.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 10:07 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Serve them more often, use them as snacks. We always have carrot sticks, celery sticks, cut broccoli and cauliflower in the fridge. My boys have those or fruit when they first get home from school. They are ready and easily accessible.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2011