How do you get over your first love?

Ive been with my husband for 10 years now and I love him to death. However I still have feelings for my first love. We broke up years ago and I thought I was completley over him and latley I can't stop thinking about him. I havn't given him a second thought in years and now he is all I think about, Its driving me nuts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Relationships

• I dont know im still with him......
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I really think you never get over your first love..my hubby was my "first love" but he broke my heart and I ended up falling in love with my rebound guy...we eventually broke up and got back together with the man I am now married to. I love my husband dearly and would never leave him or do anything with my ex, but that doesn't stop me from thinking about him from time to time. He was-is a great guy and I still care about him...we had a great time together and I really loved him, but I know my heart belongs with my DH, he's my "fairytale" guy. Just because you are thinking about him doesn't neccissarily you are still "in love" with him, ya know?
    Anonymous

• Thinking about him doesn't mean you aren't over him. I think about my first love sometimes. Sometimes for weeks on end! But its just because he was a big part of my life for a long time and I wonder how he is. I love my DH and wouldn't go back for anything. Hmmmm.... I might google him, now. lol.
    Anonymous

• They are your first love for a reason... I think everyone remembers there first ... everything! '

Doesnt mean you are in love with him...

dont look into it too much lol
    tyree08

Answer by tyree08 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Same thing here. Wouldn't leave my hubby for anything but I think about my first love all the time. It was 10 yrs ago. We had the most wonderful, exciting, passionate, romance. My point is, our first love's remind us of a time when we were younger, a little more carefree, maybe even a little happier. It may not be so much him that you are thinking about/missing as it is the way you felt back then, the way he made you feel, and the things you did/places you went. The best way to stop thinking about him is to allow yourself some quiet time to just go ahead and think about him...every detail. And then think about how you'd feel if your hubby wasn't there anymore and how much you would miss him and your lives together. Sorry if that doesn't help...but it helps me to realize that the past is in the past for a reason and that the man I truly love is right here. You'll always remember though...
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 2:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• why would anyone want to get over their first love? It's special bc it was your first love. Nothing will ever compare to what you think it could have been if you stayed together. It's part of the romance of love we feed ourselves to get through other relationships that are not perfect. In truth, reality might be that your first love might not have been the perfect man for you so keep the wonderful man you have and keep your fantasy. If you went back to first love and found out he's not the right guy either then you lost both your great h and the great fantasy of the first love.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• OMG!! I feel like I could have written this post. I thought I was the only one struggling with this. I think about my first love constantly..I wish I didn't. The memories are good, but things between me and DH are tenious and it doesn't help to think of him. I am so glad to hear I am not alone. I thought I was losing my mind.
    Anonymous