How can I get my 20 month old to sleep in a toddler bed?

My DD is 20 months old and I still put her in the crib when its nap/nite nite time. I have a toddler bed that someone gave me and I tried her on it and she keeps gettin out. i dont think she is ready for it. She dont understand that she needs to stay in it all nite. So when and how should I start usin the toddler bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What I did was for the first few nights I sat right next to ds bed until he fell asleep. If he would sit up and try to talk to me I wouldn't say a word and just lay him back down and return to sit quietly. After a week I moved closer to the door I did this until I was completely out of the room. I wont lie to you it took a really long time for him to learn, but he did. He is now two and I started him out in a big bed at the same age. Key is consistance. Now even though he is two I still can't go to bed when he does I will put him down and just sit around the livingroom and if he gets up I just lay him down without talking to him. Some nights he only gets up a few times, but other nights it might take a whole hour. Don't get upset just stay calm and keep putting her back. Same goes for if she wanders in your room at night.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I wouldn't use it until she starts climbing out of the crib or you need it for another baby. She is still young to understand staying in the bed. She doesn't sound ready for it. My oldest was SO happy in his crib and I only switched him to a bed when he was 2.5 years because I needed the crib for my youngest. By that time he was old enough to understand staying in it at bedtime.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:27 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• With my kids I would put them in bed (and the bed was placed very specifically for viewing) and I would sit where they couldn't see me, but I could see them (normally a slightly cracked door worked best) and every time they would get out of bed I would either open the door or just "yell" and tell them to get back in bed and lay down... worked for me... maybe it'll help you!
    lilliedoll

Answer by lilliedoll at 10:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It is best to talk to your child in a calm voice reassuring them you are close by , they are just scared at this age. Be patient as this is a process for them as well as you to learn. There are some great transitioning to a toddler bed at
    http://www.toddlerbedandmore.com/toddler_tips.html
    toddler101

Answer by toddler101 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• my little girl was excited to sleep in it. It may be that she doesn't like how high it is off the floor with no barriers. You might want to try for now just putting her mattress on the floor. if she gets out then she gets out. I keep a baby safe door knob on my toddlers door so she cant open it at night. Some times she would fall asleep on a pile of stuffed animals but eventually they will fall asleep.
    MoonPixie

Answer by MoonPixie at 12:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• my boys kept getting out of their bed and I just layed them back down and told them it was their new beds and this was where they slept now. it took about 4 times a night for about 2 weeks before they stopped crawling out of bed
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2011