My son got a glimpse of Japan

My three year old ds got a very short glimpse of the devestation in Japan this mornin. Wonder Pets timed out when I was in the bathroom and I guess my husband was watching BBC last night. He was very very freaked over this in what could have been no more than a minute of footage. I tried to just be calm and tell him it was far away and that people were already building new houses. Has anyone else had to explain any of this, any good advice on what I should say if he brings it up again?

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We have been watching it on the news and my kids have seen it to.. they are 4 & 6. We are not hiding it from them. I am explaining the science of it all to them, in basic terms as they love to watch discovery channel type shows. I am tempering the human side of it as I don't think they can grasp the concept of over 10,000 dead/missing. Tragedy like this happens, so I am not hiding it from them, but I am trying to explain it in terms they understand, and helping them work thru the information as needed. You just have to break it down into smaller pieces of information and put it into term they understand. Answer his questions best you can, but DON"T lie to them.... that can come back and bit you in the a$$ hard someday!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• wow.... that's a tough one.... I think what you said is pretty good. If it would make him feel better, maybe make a safety plan with him.maybe that will make him feel more in control? Poor lil guy :(
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• This would be a good way to start teaching him to help other people, like donating food or money or even cleaning out his toy box and closet for the little kids that lost everything. I didn't realize how much my 5 year old loved until he saw it on the news and started packing a bag of his toys. :)
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 11:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I always just divert attention to other things. my kids sat and watched Hurricane Katrina hit and the aftermath. They were preschool age at the time. They actually found it fascinated but my oldest has anxiety issues and started freaking out that a flood would destroy our house (we lived outside of Pittsburgh at the time). When ever she'd start freaking out I'd explain (again) that it wouldn't flood by us and the people in the gulf were okay and then I'd find something else for her to do. She'd eventually forget about it. She worries about the weirdest things. She's 10 1/2 now and they learned about the earthquake in school and I was surprised she wasn't worrying about one hitting here. She didn't want to move here (WA) because of volcanoes and earthquakes. She actually screamed at us that she wouldn't come (of course she loves it here now).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:36 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• pretty interesting that hes only 3 and had that reaction. Most kids, I would think, wouldnt even understand what they were watching. But I agree with crafty. Dont lie. I think your response to him was good. Its always better to educate our kids rather than sugar coat everything. Helps prepare them better for the future :)
    JDmommyJD

Answer by JDmommyJD at 12:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It's not unusual to feel a little helpless when children ask certain questions! Parents always want their child to feel reassured. The most important thing is honesty! Here is a great article that is called Tragic Times: http://www.helpmealison.com/tragic-times.html
    I hope that this will give you some ideas to help your son!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 5:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• What second poster said.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 8:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• With only a minute of interaction with the news in the morning my son asked me again about the event when he got home. He was very concerned with what he referred to as a store and what happened to all the food and I explained to him that we were lucky to have food whenever we wanted but the store would have food again soon. He did not see any people from what I gather, but when I explained to him that these people were far far away and that people from our country were going to help he asked if we could take a plane to help. I told them we couldn't do that but we would send money to help them and he was ok with that. He had nightmares last night but seems to be ok today.
    hotelmom123

Comment by hotelmom123 (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2011