How to get rid of lice eggs....

besides that stupid special comb? I discovered my daughter had lice yesterday and we started the treatment right away. We've washed everything again in the house certain toys in black bags, that lice spray all over the house. Pretty much everything. We've done over the counter treatment plus dumped rubbing alcohol in her hair (found online that it works) also used a hair dryer (kills lice faster) The only problem is that the eggs re still in hr hair we spent over 3 hours last night trying to get what little eggs we can find and that comb and speical gel doesn't work. My nails were more effective but they haven't been able to get them all. Does anyone know another way? She is 3 by the way/

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• i went through her hair & picked them all out myself with my finger nails & the nit comb. I also did the RID twice, the second time i did it a week later just in case i missed any of those eggs & they hatched. Every day, i would sit there with the nit comb & go through her hair, i did that for about a week.

The metal nit combs work the best. Those plastic ones SUCK. It helps if the hair is wet & tangle free. Go through it in sections & pin the parts up you are not combing. It was a night mare for me because my DD has a friggen lion's mane for hair. But, eventually i got them all out. I checked her hair daily for a week until i saw no more. Her hair is dark though, so it was easy to spot those eggs. It's a lot harder to find in light colored hair.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:51 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Hair dryer doesn't work, so I've been told me her doctor when she had lice beginning of Jan. It damages the hair also. Second, go to CVS if there's one near you, and by the METAL lice/egg comb, it was my LIFE SAVER!!!!!! I drenched her hair in baby oil (she's 2) and then used the metal fine tooth comb in little sections by section, it got mostly all of them out, i'm telling you, it's so worth 10$, and your sanity! I was literally going F'N nuts!!!!!!!! I'm not sure if they make it anymore, but my mom told me when I was young like around 3, they had this glow in the dark stuff to make the eggs glow, try googling it, i'm sure it's worth the money as well. Goodluck =[
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Pretty much what samurai_chica said it took a couple of days of a couple hour sessions to get them all.  My middle DD has brought them home 2 times from school in 2 years. Dish soap is supposed to help loosen the glue that makes them stick but honestly not sure if it really helped or not but you get to the point where you will do anything! That is why the second treatment is really important to get any eggs that you missed after they hatch.  If you know where she got them from make sure they are doing a 2nd check in a week on the kids that had them I found out that DD's school was not doing this which means the problem can just keep happening.

Also the nix product is supposed to help prevent reinfestation for 14 days.

I now add tree tea oil to her shampoo as a prevenative and she wears her hair up everyday at school now.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Try tea tree oil. You can get it at wal mart. Put a few drops in your regular shampoo. It stinks to high heaven. It saved my life. We spent weeks picking and treating and after one treatment we were done.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Can you do it when she is sleeping? Its a pain for sure!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• We have the mental one and we use that gel that comes in the package, so far nothing. Is it so hard to get her to sit stil for a long tme to get the eggs out.

mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• metal*
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2011