My son just turned 3, he seems to ignore me when i say his name..

and he ignores other people? Does anyone else's child do this and any tips on getting them to listen more? LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He is either not listening to you, which you need to correct right away, or he could have a slight hearing problem. I would get it checked. Or say, ice cream and see if he hears that..lol Thats what i do when my son "don't hear me"..lol
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• not a hearing issue, he hears everything else he just seems to WANT to ignore me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have a son with a selective listening disorder. I haven't found the cure, but when it drives me really batty I get down to his level and hold his cheeks and make him look straight at me. As soon as I figure out how to keep his father from tuning me out maybe I will have a better answer...
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• If your son is having issues caused by things he is eating (such as red dye...) then his behavior will not likely improve until it is removed from his diet. The only way to tell is an elimination diet such as "Feingold program". We have done it for the last 11 years and it really has been a miracle cure for lots of behavioral issues. More information at www.feingold.org.
    DrRama

Answer by DrRama at 2:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• If he does not answer you when he is spoken to make sure you get his attention. Make him look you in the face. If he doesnt then send him to time out untill he can show respect. This is a respect issue. If you dont nip it now you will be paying for it the rest of his life
    endlesswonder87

Answer by endlesswonder87 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• If he can hear everything else then it's probably just a choice he's making! It's really important to correct this right away and let him know that he needs to listen to you when you speak to him! If he's busy playing, get in front of him at his eye level when you speak with him. Often parents speak to the back of their child's head! If he's absorbed in play, he really may not hear you! If he's intentionally ignoring you when you talk to him and he's watching TV, turn it off or pause it until he answers. The younger he is the better it is to work with him on this. If he's not listening now, think of him as a teen!! Really be on top of this and tell him that he needs to listen to you. Be consistent with this and it will get better!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 5:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• im sorry but the red dye? thats the most rediculous thing ive ever heard. lol thanks anyways! anybody have any realistic tips? my son eats all natural anyways and nobody said anything about behavior problems....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• he might have a hearing problem take him and have him checked and then if that is ruled out then he is just ignoring you for some reason and needs to know that when you call his name that he needs to answer you
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• its not the hearing. again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2011