Borderline Personality in a Biological Mother

I came across a post, on the internet. About a Woman diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, who is being prevented by CPS from seeing her child. 

The Biological Mother is not allowed to have Supervised-Visits with the Biologial-Child in Foster-Care. And the Biological Mother is not allowed to have Unsupervised-Visits with the Biological-Child in Foster-Care. Because of the fact that she has been diagnosed with a Mental Ilness called Border Personality Disorder. They told her that the mental illness can not be treated with medication. And that her Borderline Personality is not a mental illness that she can manage.

Do you think Borderline Personality in a Biological Mother, is such a severe mental illness. That medication can not/is not always possible in controlling this severe mental illness. And therefore it is acceptable for CPS to prevent a Biological Mother with Borderline Personality Disorder, from having unsupervised access visits/supervised access visits to her child in Foster Care.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• UMMM... not sure what your asking, but I have the same thing, and I take 2meds for it, and NOONE would ever know that I have it ( although they think I grew out of it) and just so people know it is NOT scizophrenia! I have bi-polar with schizophernic tendancies.... mening if I am not taking my Celexa, when i get mad i may scream and yell, and then later feel horrible and not remeber it all! I havent had a problem in 8 years! noone should lose kids over this! Just silly!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Thanks for more details.....................that is still too broad a question though since BPD runs a spectrum, so I'll edit my response to say "it depends on the circumstance". I've dealt with family members who have BPD for most of my life looking back and it is a destructive, horrible illness that is,in my own personal experience, unmanageable. My sisters illness coupled with my parents inability to handle it has destroyed our family. That's a tough diagnosis and I feel sorry for anyone who has to live through it, with it or around it and I certainly think children should be protected in any way they can.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yes I do think that is appropriate. I have a couple family members who I would say are probably borderline personality and I can see why a child shouldn't be around that destructive behavior. Obviously there are no details in your question but I DO agree with that generic statement.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't know hun.
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't agree with CPS in this case. They should monitor the situation. And yes, there ARE medications to deal with the symptoms of this disease. Was that the only reason for removing the child? If so, that is terrible.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:40 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Borderline Personality Disorder is something difficult for anyone to live with! They really see the world as "black and white." It's either all good or all bad. So many things trigger a person's behavior! There are many children living with a parent with this. Since there can be a broad range in this spectrum, part of the answer can be "it depends." Sadly there is a great deal of emotional abuse associated with this and children need to be protected. Often the other parent or relatives can help so that the child will learn that the parents behavior is "not their fault!" There could be a little more to this with CPS involved already.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 6:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Borderline Personality Disorder CAN be controlled with medication and counseling, so NO I don't think a parent should be kept from their children because they have a mental illness. But, it depends on the severity and how the parent is with taking medication and going to counseling.

BTW, Borderline Personality Disorder, Schizophrenia and Bipolar are all DIFFERENT disorders. They are no where near the same thing, although they may have similar symptoms.

For more info on Mental illness look at www.apa.org, look for the link for the DSM-IV-TR.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 15, 2011