Step son is embarressed of me-

I am only 12 years older than my step son, he is always embaressed of the fact that he is 15 and I am 27, people always think that I am his sister or his girlfriend. I know I look and dress young for my age, how can I get him over the embarressment?

He is also embarressed of his dad b/c he is overweight - we cannot win adn he does not want us to come to school events and his games.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• at 15 that is quite normal. Did you like to go out with your parents at that age?
    Try not to take it personally, there's always something about parents that embarrasses kids that age. I was like that big time!

as far as you not going to school functions, I would go anyway. You can go and be discrete, not talk to him during the functions and let him feel like the big adult. If you don't go, I think that he will regret it later.
    I said the same thing when I was that age and younger. then when I was at those functions I was scared to death that they would take me up on it and not show! when you are growing up you're supposed to have mixed feelings.

If you want to look more 'grown up' at these functions then maybe you could put your hair in a bun if it's long enough, and wear a business suit or something.
    other than that, I'd let it roll off your back. he's a kid, he'll grow out of it all.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Dress more conservatively when you are with him. Idk what to say about dad. Ask him what would make it easier for him. Tell him that you and dad have to go out in public and that is all there is to it. ;)
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:48 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• surely you knew before you married his father that one day he'd start to feel this way. absolutely dress more conservatively around him and his friends, but I wouldnt stop going to school events just because he is sensitive to it right now. he needs to learn to love and accept his family members for who they are!
    iBecky

Answer by iBecky at 11:52 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think most kids are embarrassed by their parents (step or natural) during times of their lives. I would try to avoid embarrassing him as much as possible.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• At that age you could be Cindy Crawford and he'd be embaressed. If you want to be the cool mom perhaps you can tell him you won't avoid being there but he can help pick out what you wear when you do go. It might be interesting to find out who he thinks has cool parents that aren[t embaressing...
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Many, many children of his age are embarrassed by their parents no matter what their age and weight! The most important thing you can do is just develop a great relationship at home and eventually it will spread over. Many kids are into the "outside" at that age and haven't always learned the value of the person. The more time you spend together doing things and talking at home and teaching him the positives of a person, the more he'll learn. Seems like after the teen years are over, parents are cool again!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 6:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2011