How important is religion in your life?

I used to go to church every Saturday growing up, but as an adult, it just doesn't work for me as much anymore. I still say prayers, but sometimes I'm not sure who I'm supposed to pray to. Or who is listening. I have a lot of questions about religion in general. That's just where I'm at right now.
How about you?

TwilightMack

Asked by TwilightMack at 11:43 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Religion is not that important in my life; I would say I am a spiritual person, not a religious person.

l.o.v.e

Answer by l.o.v.e at 11:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• As an Atheist, religion plays no defining role in my life and is completely without merit. I prefer to live well, responsibly, and simply be "good" because I am, not because I fear eternal flames. Goodness which comes from fear is invalid.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• "Goodness which comes from fear is invalid"

I sooo agree with that statement
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Very important. Because of the faith we chose, religion and attending church and the rituals that go with it are a voluntary but necessary part. Otherwise it would just be a wishy washy identifying statement. Whats the point in saying I'm something if I don't act like it, ya know?
    Issac

Answer by Issac at 12:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My family doesnt attend church. We are spiritual, but not religious.
    iBecky

Answer by iBecky at 11:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I do not go to church but i have my faith and my beliefs, i believe that i do not need to go, its not going to change my beliefs just because i go.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I agree too, good points ObbyDobbie

l.o.v.e

Answer by l.o.v.e at 12:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Religion is not important to me, but my close relationship with Jesus is very important to me :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Religion is very important in my life. I grew up Catholic, however I do not now attend church. I do want to go back to the church. I do believe in God with all my heart. I do pray and I feel a very spiritual connection to God. God has blessed me more then words could ever say. Through the good and the bad, I find peace in knowing through prayer God is always with me.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Religion is not very important to me. Being a decent, compassionate human being for it's own sake (not fear of reward or punishment) is important to me. Spirituality and philosophy are important to me. Seeking to understand others and find common ground is important to me, which is part of why I study religions and philosophies besides my own paths.

I do not attend a church at this time, but I attended a Presbyterian church nearly every Sunday and Wednesday until I was 12. I've only attended occasionally since then (usually w/ my mom or visiting friends' churches). I can experience spirituality anywhere--including my own home or out in nature. I do miss a sense of community with church and would like some kind of comparative religion education for my child when he's older, so we may visit (or even regularly attend if it's a good fit for us) a UUA church about an hour from us when my son gets a little older.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2011