What happens if I don't file my taxes, or file them incorrectly?

I have been waiting for a 1099 form from citibank, and they have not sent me one... I have called every number available in the student loan department and it does not even give me an option to speak to a REAL person about having one sent to me. I don't know what else I can do! They're not really giving me a choice but to file without or not file at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• When you call try hitting 0 even if not a listed choice....it usually connects you to a human being.....if not are there any citibanks in your area? Walk into one and talk to them about it.

If you dont' file you can get slapped with fees and interest. If you file incorrectly you risk being audited, fees, and interest as well...but most likely would just get red flagged and forced to amend the return
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• If it's not a huge amount, I'd just go ahead and file. I've done it. I paid some money later, but it really wasn't that much, and there were no penalties that I paid either. I don't suggest messing with the IRS, but at the same time, they aren't that bad to deal with either.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Call the IRS or talk to someone like H&R Block and ask what would happen. I know you can amend your filing if there's a mistake. Definitely file...that can cause problems for you later down the road.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have heard of other people having this problem with citibank also, can I make a complaint about them to the IRS?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Mar. 14, 2011