Does you kid do this?

I will ask my daughter What is the study of living things? She knows the answer to this question, but she will come up with 1000 different answers. I end up punishing her before she'll tell me the answer. I don't understand why she has such a hard time remembering this stuff. Once she does tell me the answer I will ask her for example what's the study of plants. She'll say botany. Then I will go back to what is the study of living things? She's not able to tell me the answer even though she told me not 2 minutes before. Anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?

somuchlove4U

Asked by somuchlove4U at 11:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• She could have a short term memory loss or learning disability. I might suggest you talk to someone at the school see if she does it there to. Talk to teacher or speech teacher. the speech teacher is usually the one that has to do testing for all short term and learning disabilities. or anyway that is how we learned our daughter had auditory processing disorder.

WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• You punish your daughter because she can't remember the word Biology? She's a tween or early teen, their brains are full of holes...all you can do is work with her, help her learn how to properly study
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:49 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• A lot of kids don't do well being "quizzed" on things. They get nervous, similar to stage fright. Especially if she knows that if she gets it wrong, she'll get punished.

Make studying more fun. Have her quiz YOU. Have her "teach" you the material. Make songs about your material to sing together. What works for my kiddo (6) is a goofy drill sargeant routine.
    "WHAT is the BIGGEST CONTINENT in the WORLD?!"
    "ASIA!"
    "WHATTT IS THE BIGGEST CONTINENT IN THE WORLD?!"
    "ASIA!"
    Over and over again. Louder and louder, smiling the whole time.

By using punishment over not knowing the answer, you're creating a stressful situation in which she's scared to answer you, even with the correct answer.
    LadyMommaDukes

Answer by LadyMommaDukes at 11:58 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Wow, not something I would really concern myself with.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:51 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Unless she's doing it on purpose to give you a hard time, I wouldn't punish her. That'll only push her away from the desire to learn.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Why wouldn't you concern yourself with this? She does this all the time with all of her school work. I don't understand it and it does concern me. I don't know what to do or how to help.
    somuchlove4U

Comment by somuchlove4U (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Mom2cuties, that's actually when she tells me the correct answer. It's worked everytime. It seems like she's doing it just to push my buttons, but I'm not sure since she does this all the time. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should do to help her?
    somuchlove4U

Comment by somuchlove4U (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'm with zankysmommy the brain isn't fully developed until about age 25. And to answer your question. Yes my 9 and 10 year old do have a hard time remembering things like spelling words, mulitplication problems.  But they remember a whole ot more.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:56 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• "It seems like she's doing it just to push my buttons, "
    gee you think so? lol! I used to LOVE getting my mom red in the face over silly stuff like this.
    is she getting the questions wrong in school? if not, then don't worry about it.
    if she is, then maybe she's got a short term memory problem.

Anonymous

• Anonymous. That's what I'm thinking cause she does get the answers wrong a lot even though she knows the answer. Just a few minutes ago she had the correct answer and then she told me a story. After that she told me the answer to what is the study of living things and she got it right. We moved on to another question and she decided to answer the biology question again. Only this time she can't remember.
    somuchlove4U

Comment by somuchlove4U (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2011