During this recession, what have you done to try and save money?

My family has cut back and out a lot of the little things to try and get by. I mean, prices keep going up but we aren't making anymore money to adjust the difference. It's hard! Have you all had to do the same thing? How has it affected you and your family?

sonja911

Asked by sonja911 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• I am trying to be a better shopper, make the meals streach a little further, and instead of driving to the gas station when i need something or my hubby wants a soda, i have been walking because the price of gas is not going down. I also love garage sales, if you look you can find really nice stuff, like clothes for the kids, i would rather buy jerans for 1 instead of 20,
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• We buy our clothes locally rather than driving an extra 15 miles to the mall. We buy generic food. We stay home more.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• One ay I save a lot of money is taking my lunch to work instead of eating out. This saves 40-50 per week, which is about $200 per month. ALso I have streamlined our grocery shopping and TRY to buy only what is on the shopping list! To save gas -- I plan a route running errands so that I do them in order of driving by them and never have to double-back. :-)
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Clip coupons, make out a list stick to it. No eating out, no driving exept to work and church that's about it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:55 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I cut the heat down all winter & don't turn the AC on if I don't have to. Now with gas going sky high, I don't drive if I can't walk to it, then I just have to do without.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• we dont go to movies anymore. in fact we dont do anything but stay at home. I'm struggling with groceries trying to figure out what I can feed my family thats healthy and cheap at the same time, is it even possible? Junk food is so cheap.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 12:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• We have cut back on luxuries like cable, and gone with Netflix instead, we cut our power usage, reduced our other bills as much as possible. We don't owe on any credit cards and really have no debt other than our car, and the payment is pretty low.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It really hasn't affected us at all that I can tell. But we've always been on a pretty tight budget and made do with less.

Answer by missanc at 1:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• We use to eat out every night. I am an AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL cook. If I don't like my cooking I certainly don't expect anybody else to eat it. But I have started cooking to save money, we are starting to grow accustomed to my cooking lol.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011