What do you think the right amount of time in school is at preschool/pre-k

I am a working mom but am lucky to have a very devoted Grandma to help out. I currently have my 3 year old DS in "school" two full day and one half day. I am contemplating whether that is the right amount as he gets older or if I should have him in an educational environment more. I would appreciate some feedback from other Mom's as to what they think the ideal school schedule is.

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I work with teachers, parents and children in a private Early Childhood Center. About 85% of the children attend from 9-2:30. Some leave at noon. (That's the nursery level, ages 3-4). In Pre K, the children all attend the times I wrote above, 5 days a week. In Florida there is a VPK program that pays for Pre K morning hours five days a week. Children seem to like the consistency of every day and from what I observe, they seem to be more connected to their peers. Some parents say that they want to spend more time with them but find that the afternoon hours work fine for the one on one time. Children learn through play and just learn so much from just being in that environment. The most important things to learn in school at that age are social skills with friends, learning to follow directions, etc. It's wonderful so see mom's who are concerned and want to select the best!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 5:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• A preschool program (around here they are run by churches) are 3 hrs a day and at age 3, they go 3 days a week. A 4 yr old goes 5 days a week 3 hrs a day. There is a huge difference between preschool and daycare where I live.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• The preschool here goes 4 hrs. everyday.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My 4-year-old goes to fulltime pre-school. I think your schedule is perfect for a 3-year-old. Then maybe at 4, you can have her attend pre-k half days every day of the week (m-f) that way she will be ready for all-day kindergarten (our schoold are 8-3 for pre-k and k).
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think its dependent on the child. My 3 year old thrives on structure; as a SAHM I can give him some but he's asking for school. With a very limited budget we do plan on splurging for half day preschool next year just because I cannot give him any more time. But my 19 month old is much more independent and I cannot say I would choose that option, especially since he has more natural socialization.
    Issac

Answer by Issac at 12:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My DDs program runs 3 days a week for 2.5 hours a day. I think it's a perfect amount for her.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• At 3, DD went to preschool 3 days a week for 3 hours. At 4 she is going 5 days a week for 3 hours. She will continue with that until she starts Kindie. Her school is, however, full-on school. It is education. It isn't daycare or a mother's day out program mascarading as a preschool. (She was in one of those and learning nothing. Now she reads and writes.) I would think that anything beyond about 3 hours would involve a lot of play time/meal time/snack time?
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 3:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• They differ. I would call around your area and get more info.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 7:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I was contemplating an extra day which would be 8:30-12:30 for next year. I get a detailed account of his day so I know what he is learning and feel that he is getting a good education and he loves his "friends" i just don't want to overdo it.
    hotelmom123

Comment by hotelmom123 (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i think its great to get them into a learning environment as much as you can while you work, thy crave knowledge at this age. the actual pre-school my daughter goes to is only from 9am-noon through the schools here, but she attends childcare after which is more for fun not really learning but i dont keep her there too long either me or my hubby pick her up by 4-5
    mama2r

Answer by mama2r at 12:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011