Christians - Easter

Do you tell your young children what you celebrate Easter for as a Christian? How do you explain it to them? Do they understand?

l.o.v.e

Asked by l.o.v.e at 12:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends on the age. I have a three year old who isn't going to get Christ is risen. We focus on eggs and chicks meaning new life and that we celebrate Jesus doing special things for us so the world can have a new life.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• We do tell our children though don't expect them to 'get it.' For Christmas, we celebrate Jesus coming into the world and what can we do to prepare to celebrate his arrival? Things like being extra good, helping others, picking out toys to give to less fortunate. They understand those things. My eldest is 4 so last year was the first yera we did anything with him and at that point it was really just reading him the Christmas story at night. For Easter we celebrate the Risen Christ and the suffering he went through for us so last yera we read the Easter story at night. This year, we focus on what we can do to celebrate this occasion besides church (Operation Rice Bowl, giving up things to honor his sacrifice. Eggs and stuff too have symbolism related to our faith
    Issac

Answer by Issac at 12:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Eggs and chicks meaning new life? hmm...

Issac- please tell me what the "eggs and stuff" symbolize in your faith? really curious.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I bought two books that I will read to them about Easter and what it means to us.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 12:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Our son's not really old enough yet. But when he gets older I'm going to explain to him the significance - but I plan on educating him as well as I can on ALL the religions of the world (at least the main ones he's most likely to encounter, those that have more information available), making sure he understands all the different ways of understanding religious issues.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• at almost-6, he's old enough to notice changes in dialogue/pictures/hangings/etc at church. (advent/lent/etc) he's old enough to sit and listen (or just catch a few words, if he's not listening) and ask about it, if he's curious. so yes, i do explain things to him, as they come along, as he inquires. some things, he naturally 'gets', even if he doesn't comprehend it theologically.

sometimes, he doesn't have a clue about things, and i'm surprised. for instance, the other day, he found a coloring sheet at church and it depicted the angel telling joseph (jesus' father) about mary and their impending life-change..he said, ''who's joseph??"..so, somethings he doesn't naturally get, or retain. LOL!
    as with anything, we explain on the level his questions come, or try to. nothing too deep or lenghty..you know their attention spans!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My children are 1yr and 2 yrs old.
    We take them to the all night vigil to pray before the life sized icon of Christ in the tomb and we take them to Easter morning Liturgy. I don't leave anything out when I talk to them about the the events of Holy Week and Easter, but I don't go into gory details. Adults can hardly understand the mysteries of our faith, so I don't expect them to "get it" but you would be surprised at how much they understand and notice. I don't want to scare them, but I don't want to shield them either. Every child is different and you might not explain it the same way to both kids.
    We also read books and colour pictures and make Ukrainian Easter eggs, we have pussy willows (palms) and lots of singing.
    I hope one day they will understand His sacrifice even more than I do :)
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 5:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• this will be the first year my DD is old enough to even remember what Easter entails (she's 2.5) and its mostly just the bunnies, candy, and carnival that our church does every year. i was raised in a very strange home when it came to holidays like Easter & Christmas, so the religious & secular activities have always been extremely separated in my mind. there is Easter, the day that Jesus' death, burial, & resurrection is celebrated, and then there's easter, the day we can start wearing white shoes, get lots of candy, and eat a big ham lunch w/ all the trappings. im saving the more gruesome & religious aspects of Easter till she is old enough to understand them in context...so for now its all about the secular.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Through the years, My child knew age appropriate versions of the Easter story
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 6:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yes, I do. I have two different cookie recipes that I use help them with the meaning.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011