Inducing labor?

Okay, i am currently 36w 5 days. My little guy however is measuring at over 38 weeks. The midwife told me that if i went into labor that everything would be alright and that i could actively start trying to induce labor on my own. My problem is i cant seem to get anything going. i have tried walking and sex and nothing. I was dilated to a 1 last week. I dont go in until wednesday. do you ladies have any good methods on how to induce. i know they say baby will come when he is ready but it doesnt hurt to try right? Also i have stopped growing and baby is getting really big so you can imagine how uncomfortable i am and i know he is as well b/c he literally has no room what so ever. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• if you've tried walking and sex, and nothing is happening, that's your body's way of telling you it's not ready. keep walking and having sex, that's all you can do, in a healthy sense.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Well the two main ones are walking and sex. Keep walking this will help you dialate and walking can help stengthen contractions if you already have them. Sex can help by the semen making your cervix soften and dialate. Orgasims can help bring on contractions and strengthen them. Then there is also certain food you can eat that may help pinaple is one. Then there is nipple stimulation which can can help bring on contractions but this can make contractions very painful (ask your midwife about this) then there are herbal treatments that you can try such as evening primrose oil the way you do this is take a few pills and place them next to your cervix this will help soften and dialate you. (ask your midwife first for all herbal) then there is blue and black cohosh which taken together can help start and strengthen contractions. (again ask midwife)
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 12:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 12:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I suggest just keep waiting. Nothing is happening, and it will when it's time. The doctor will decide if you should or shouldn't wait anymore. I had NO signs of even false labor, all the way up till my doctor decided to induce me for NO reason at 39w 3d..I would've just waited, but when I went int for my check up, he told me to go in that night (I was induced the next day). You still have a few weeks..it'll happen when it does.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Just keep doing what youre doing and eventually if its meant to be itll start labor. Unfortunately our babies and bodies have minds of their owns with these things and sometimes you just have to go with it.

Answer by gemgem at 12:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• That is WAY too early to be trying all that. Most doctors won't even induce until 38 weeks. It's not happening because it's not time. And measurments aren't always accurate. How do you know it isn't excess amniotic fluid, or several other reasons?? Have there been tests run to prove your child isn't growing? I empathise that you are uncomfortable. I've done it four times, I feel you. But we are obligated as parents to do what's best for our child. I would be getting a second opinion. No offense to your midwife.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I was desperate to have my baby when I was 34 weeks...So I know how you feel, but I wouldn't recommend trying to "induce" labor until your due date....Some people measure small and some people measure big--My doctor induced me at 38 weeks due to pre-eclampsia and I was only measuring 31 weeks...And my baby was small 5 pounds 15 ounces. Even though you are measuring big by a couple of weeks does NOT mean that your baby's lungs are fully mature. Also know that the fundal height can be off by a couple of weeks in each direction. Fundal height measurement has more to do with position than size of baby. I was dilated by 1cm and 70percent effaced at 34 weeks pregnant and the day I went in to have my baby nothing had changed. So it is not uncommon for you to not progress at 36weeks

When you feel like your baby is in a tight place-remember there are mothers who have 5 or 6 in that space..Imagine that! Be patient. Good luck & congrats
    RiaChristine

Answer by RiaChristine at 12:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I agree with music mom. My doctor said she wouldn't induce me until 39 weeks. I think waiting a couple more weeks won't hurt. I got induced and I regret it. I wish I could go back and do it again with my first child.
    I know you don't want to hear it, but the baby will come when the baby is ready. You can't force things to happen. Just quit trying so hard and let it happen on its own.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I actually see several midwives not just one and they all gave the go ahead. They are thinking i am 36 w 5 days but i could actually be further along then that. They did amnio as well and his lungs are fully developed. They have done ultrasound as well and show that he is bigger then he is supposed to be. my stomach has not grown in a few weeks. But thanks for the advice. like i said i know that it will happen when it happens but i was just looking for ideas that might help. This is my third child so i know uncomfortable and i think there should be a line between uncomfortable and outright unbearable. but thanks again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• they thought my middle child was smaller than she was and i went to 43 weeks. so if you really want to talk about unbearable, how about my middle child was actually 10 pounds? ultrasounds are not 100% accurate. 36 weeks is too early to start trying to induce. yes, you are full-term. if your baby & body are ready, you will go into labor by walking and having a lot of sex. if its not working, its not time. listen to what your body is telling you sweetie!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011