Vegetables

how am I suppose to feed my kids healthy meals when groceries are soaring? I have 3 teenage boys and a teenage daugher and they all love to eat,imagine that! Were suppose to get (5) servings of fruits and vegys daily produce has gone up so much I have a panic attack shopping for groceries in fact I dread grocery shopping. How do I feed my kids healthy meals? I have high blood pressure I cant keep eating crap food I need to eat fresh vegys my doctor told me to eat a ton of fish too and stay clear of red meat which I have no problem accpet my husband LOVES to eat that stuff steaks,hotdogs,hamburgers. mashed potatoes etc. What are some meals that I can make that are good but cheap? Can you tell me what you feed your teenagers and yourself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• When fresh produce become very high I usually buy frozen, they are just as good and a lot cheaper.  I also buy my meat and fish in bulk so that it is less expensive.  These days I have also started using coupons a lot so that other foods are not as expensive and I can buy more produce.

As far as meals go we usually have a protein, a veggie and a starch.  Sometimes we make smoothies with frozen fruit and that is our veggie.  I know it is hard I think you just have to be creative.  I try to look online for recipes that work.  Soup is another great way to get veggie in while not being very expensive.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't have teenagers, but I do have a husband like yours. He had to decide on his own that he couldn't eat that way any more. I no longer buy the stuff.

We do lots of chicken; broiled, curry, cacciatore... there are SO many chicken recipes out there. Fish... again, tons of recipes out there. Here's a place to start: http://www.cookinglight.com/

Farmers' Markets are great to keep produce costs down.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Grow your own fruits and veggies.
    Anonymous

• aw thank you I will look up the site. we are in fact gonna do a garden this year.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I rarely buy fresh produce at the grocery store. I buy frozen or from local farmer's markets. I do a lot of casseroles to stretch meat a little further. Tonight, supper is beef stew with lots of veggies done in the crockpot.

Answer by missanc at 1:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• we must teach that vegetables are necesary for our bodies.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, simple, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I know the feeling we try to eat healthy and it seems like every time we go to the grocery store everything has went up again
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 15, 2011