Have you ever talked with someone from you past and been surprised?

I am asking because I have began chatting with an ex, to be honest he was my first and I was his. We are just talking, he knows I am married and I know he is in a relationship. Just a re-connection of sorts as friends and catching up, so don't judge please. But I was surprised to know that he holds a fondness for me 20 years after the fact, like I was unforgettable to him. I had no idea. It was just so very nice to hear and no it does not mean he is trying to get something from me. It was just some real honest conversation. He remembered more about us going on than I would have expected, even more than me in regards to what I was wearing among other things. I was just very pleasantly surprised. I can't say he was the love of my life, but I can say maybe back then when we were young and dumb we may not have given it a fair chance to see where else it could have gone. But it partially made us who we are now and it gives me a new found appreciation for him and makes me think if I were ever in a bind I could count on him. Surprising that you can find friends where you did not think they still existed after all these years.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• My first bf and me just reconnected around a year ago and it was the same. He was my first everything I was his first everything. He remembered things I had forgotten about to he honest lol. He was bringing up different outfits I used to wear and all of that. It was nice to hear from him and we actually got some real closure, more for him I think? Either way its been nice having him in my life. I am happily married, he has a long term gf so neither of us are looking for anything either, just to I guess know were there as friends is enough.

Answer by gemgem at 12:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have an EX and we are the same way. We had a bad break up and at the time I thought he was the one I would be with forever. The break up was very hard on me and at times I would think of him. We talked off and on over many years although nothing major. Then about 5 years ago we had a long conversation about what happened between us and I was also surprised to find that he still thought of me and that I was not crazy.

It is always a nice thing to realize that you have a friend.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I've had a similar experience. It gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling! :) It's always great to find out you have mroe friends than you thought!
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yes- a friend of mine recently admitted that she was bipolar and taking meds! I thought she'd NEVER get diagnosed! lol Another is married and has a baby, and a third is still the same negative, poor-me, pity-party person they were 10 years ago. You would think someone would grow out of that! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Well.. I guess you could call me judgmental... but you are crossing a fine line talking to an ex who still has feelings for you. Maybe your relationship is different... With my husband and I we burned all bridges when we got together and then married.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Talk to your husband see if you can work your problems out.If you can't get a job and save money or go back to school get a degree and save money then leave him have your self taking care of.Good luck.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 1:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No, that has never happened to me.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Whoa Whoa....get a job, go back to school.....I have a job, I am going to school, and I am not talking about leaving my husband for this man.......don't go reading between the lines too far, thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It is nice to know that you impacted someone and to know you can be friends with them after all these years that is all I was really saying. I will admit I was flattered by what he told me but I am not fooling myself into thinking hey maybe we should go back to what once was and see what happens.......not at all. If circumstances were different things might be different and we may consider exploring different things, I am not saying we would, I am just saying that you deal with your life in the moment and I was happy that we reconnected on a friend level and nice to know I impacted him as I never realized I did.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yes. My very first bf and I bumped into each other over a year ago and I thought I saw a ghost. It had been 18 years since I last saw him and he was very upset with me for breaking it off with him for the second time. I figured he hated me because he tried hard to get me back and I wouldn't do it. Well, he was looking at me all lovey-dovey and was very complimentary. After that time, didn't see him for another year and he found out I was going through a divorce and told me how he still loves me, always did, wants another shot with me - etc. It was too much to handle. He mentioned he was having a drink while he was talking to me and he was supposedly a recovering alcoholic so I made a mental note and just stopped contact with him since I didn't want to lead him on and didn't want to get back with him.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 6:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2011