Is 5 too young?

My DH and me are very country folks... we hunt we fish all that good stuff. I'm not ready to let my 5 yr old go on a hunting trip, but the other day we bought her her first fishing pole. Is she too young to actually use a lure and all that?!?!?!

via86

Asked by via86 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No. My son started fishing at 4. You just have to be prepared to do alot lol. They dont really learn learn until they get a bit older.

Answer by gemgem at 12:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My DD was 5 the first time we took her fishing. We dealt with the bait mostly, but she learned pretty quick how to cast & reel. We got her a great beginners fishing pole. She caught on real fast.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't think so. My kids were fishing at that age although we did use things like cheese and corn when they were that little. We would put worms on them but the boys would just play with the worms instead of using them as bait.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Maybe not a lure but a worm on a hook and a bobber. Shoot I was fishing at her age.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I grew up fishing. As long as she's directly supervised, she'll be fine. Just teach her how to use the lure and how to avoid getting a hook somewhere dangerous. Don't let her cast by herself until she seems ready.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Nope. My older kids have been fishing since they were about 3, with help, of course. They learn really quickly :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No Way! My Ds went fishing for the first time this year at 6 but he also has motor delays so he needed some help with baiting and and getting the fish off the hook but by the end of the day he was casting and reeling on his own with some direction. It was so much fun!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• just keep an eye on her. I think that is a decent age to teach her how to use a pole properly.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My DD has motor delays too that was my other concern, because she has Cerebral palsy. My DH is wanting to teach our 3 yr old too, but I thought about that pole that casts for you with my 3yr old
    via86

Comment by via86 (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Nope, I was going earlier than that! Fishing is wonderfully therapeutic too, and teaches patience :)

I got my first compound bow when I was 5, and began competing with it... kids can do whatever they are taught to do.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2011