Does anyone else have a child with Asperger's?

ginateska

Asked by ginateska at 12:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes. He is 6 and a half and was diagnosed at 5 and a half.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Nope but 2 of my friends do - one is a recent diagnosis and her son is 6 and the other is 17 and they've known for a long time. I used to be a support worker to a boy with Asperger's as well.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 12:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• is there any advice you can give me? my son will be 4 on thursday and has not been "offically" diagnosed with asperger's but we have been told by the dr that she beleives he does have that but can't do some of the testing because my son does not talk yet. i have done research and found that my son has most of the symptoms and have meet a few people that have children that have AS. i guess my question is what do i do? how do i help him? how do I deal with this?
    ginateska

Comment by ginateska (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• The first step would be to get an official diagnosis from a Developmental Ped or a Psychologist who specializes in ASD. They will be able to point you in the direction you need to go as far as speech, occupational and possibly even Psychical therapy evaluations.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• also what state are you in?
    But_Mommie

• My oldest has Aspergers he is 14 now and was diagnosed when he was 8. A few things that work for us are: Index cards- I have his morning school routine written on the cards (telling him what to do each morning before school) and that way he can see what he needs to do to get ready for the day. For younger children you could use a picture chart showing the things you do. I also give him 'transition time' between activities-- meaning if he is playing video games and it is almost bedtime I will give him notice "you have 10 more minutes" that way he knows he will have to stop soon. I find that if I want him to do something I have to be specific. I can't say "clean up your room" I need to tell him what needs to be picked up and put away. I have also learned that when he has meltdowns I need to walk away and let him have time to himself to cool down, and then later we talk about what happened.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I also agree with But Mommie-- get an official diagnosis and then ask them about therapy, and what can be done to help your son.
    Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Have you ever heard of the Feingold program? Diet can play a role in helping with autism/asperger's and other learning and behavior problems. More information at www.feingold.org
    DrRama

Answer by DrRama at 2:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No, but I have worked with many, many parents who do.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 5:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• thank you all so much for your advice! i live in a very small town in northern minnesota, and it has been a challenge that's for sure. i have had to walk away from many meltdowns just because when he is in that moment there really is nothing i can do. i have wondered if there s a diet out there that may help his development. Idk i'm just so lost right now, i have been a stay at home mom for most of his life but went back to work this past sept, we thought that putting him in daycare would help his social skills and it has but due to the daycare "situation" that has come about my hubby and i decided that it would be better if i stayed home with him.
    ginateska

Comment by ginateska (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2011