Should you be proud?

Why do some parents think it is so cute that their child(ren) know all the words to songs on the radio and the latest dance moves? Is it something to be proud of when your child isn't potty trained at 4, still sucks a pacifier at 5, can't write their name at 7, can't tie their shoes at 9. I would much rather have my child be developmentally on track than to show my friends how my child can shake their booty.

KoolMom617

Asked by KoolMom617 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think she meant kids who can sing current songs like Whip Your hair, and do all the dance moves but cant read when they are supposed to. Little girls who shake their butts around to a rap song, but cant count to 10.
    Anonymous

• Sorry they are not living up to your standards. What if they are "developmentally on track" by your definition and they can do cute things?? Are you as judgemental then?? Maybe you should walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you judge them???

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Dancing and singing is a good part of learning.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'd rather them be developmentally on track as well. Mine don't know the latest songs or dance moves either, but I do get a smile whenever my two year old dances for me. lol That's too cute :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think you might be jealous! My kids are very smart, and develomentally up to par, but yes I think it is cte when my daughter knows all the words to a country son, or can do a move on just dance! I am proud of all they do, and BTW I dont get butt hurt over other people's children, and their pride ! Why does it effect you anyway?
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Umm...are you proud to be passing judgement on someone's parenting? Maybe there's something mentally wrong with the kid but he loves music. What's the big deal?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I dont know anyone whose kids are like that LOL. Mine however could do whatever activity they were signed up for.

Answer by gemgem at 1:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I like when my daughter sings to me or dances with me when we're "cleaning up" I try to make sure that she can do the things she is "supposed" to be able to do at her age but I don't want to stifle her creativity and imagination either, she's still a kid and I want to make sure she enjoys her childhood
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Not every single child will do all of the things you posted "when they are supposed to", or at the specific ages you posted. As far as tying shoes, spelling names, etc, those use the same parts of the brain that learning lyrics to a song or moving your body to dance does, and then some, like creativity. Learning the letters to spell names requires memorization, just like learning lyrics to a song. All are good parts of learning and developmental. If MY daughter accomplishes anything, whether its learning Justin Bieber lyrics or learning to spell her name, you bet your ass I'll be proud, whether she's up to other people's standards or not.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Seriously, do people who "go by the book" on parenting honestly expect their child to "go by the book" as well? I mean...does anyone ever consider the fact that maybe that child isn't comfortable enough to attempt those mile stones or just isn't mentally ready yet? Those books are only meant to make you feel like a bad mom if your child isn't doing exactly as the book says. They forget that the babies just can't read the books.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011