What financial info do they ask for in your home study..do they do a credit check?

girllittle1

Asked by girllittle1 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Adoption

• Whats a home study??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• it is part of the process you have to undergo before you get approved for adoption.
    girllittle1

Comment by girllittle1 (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I remember they asked for proof of income, but I do not believe a credit check was ever done for us. It may differ by state...we adopted in Ohio.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Since financial security is often the reason why women chose to have their children adopted, i would certainly hope so. How cruel would it be to hand over a baby because you think you can't give it all you'd like it to have just to have the adoptive parents go bankrupt.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't remember whether we had a credit check done or not, but plan on filling out a detailed budget. With our first adoption, our agency required one stay home parent for the first six months. I gave up a good job, and that made for income very low (but enough). Our SW was worried that the judge would have a problem with it, but it was okay. The second time, we'd been living on one income for a while (because I'd continued being a SAHM while I went to nursing school), so again, our income was very low. We had to stay late after one of the educational meetings at the agency and show them our plan for financial success. I had a headache all day from the stress, but we were able to show that we had resources, support, and good credit, so they approved us.

We had a few tight years like most new parents. We even had a five month period with no income. (cont)
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• (cont) We never paid our mortgage or credit card paryments late, and we emerged from that trial with our good credit intact. Much of it was prayer, some was our family support system, and some was being able to juggle our limited resources and follow through with our plan. I recently graduated as an RN and we'll have two incomes again very soon.

You do not have to be rich to build your family through adoption. You just have to show that you are stable and have a plan in place.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• OP., I am like the others, do not know about a credit check. However, how ironic is it that if you and I go to purchase a car, house, apply for a loan or credit card...that one most assuredly is done, yet possibly not to become a parent, just insane to me! I would be so surprised if a credit check is not done, no I take that back, I would be in 'SHOCK' if one was not done, a child is more important than ANY material object , CJ.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't remember them doing a credit check but I did not use an agency or have a domestic infant adoption. I was a foster parent first and I had to provide proof I could support myself and any foster children without the subsidy I received. When I adopted they updated my financial information and asked me how I was going to make up the income if I planned to take a leave of absence from work. (I did) I showed them we had some savings and that was fine. I would have had no problem with them doing a credit check at all. I gave them all kinds of information that was way more personal:)
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 6:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Ohhh thank you ... for some reason when I wrote that I was thinking this was about buying a house!! LOL Sorry. Good luck if you are just starting this process!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I work for a Texas foster/adoption agency and we do not do a credit check. We ask for a copy of lyour current tax return and proof of current income to prove that you can support yourself and any foster/adoptive children without a subsidy. We do not do a credit check.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 16, 2011