Can anyone give me some advice??

My son is almost 8 months old. He has been sleeping all night since he was 5 weeks old. He has the same bedtime routine, and he goes to bed at 9:00pm, just like he always has. He just recently (like 2 weeks ago) started waking up at about 12:30am or 1:00am wanting to eat again. He then drinks an 8 oz bottle, and he is good for the rest of the night. The doctor told me to stop giving him cereal, because he has a problem with constipation. After I stopped giving it to him he began waking up in the middle of the night wanting to eat, so I started giving it to him again. He is full after each feeding during the day, and he is also full after his bedtime bottle. Is this just a phase? Is there something else I should do for him? Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does he still have problems with constipation? If he doesn't then I would say just continue with the cereal. If he starts having trouble with the constipation again then do what your doctor recommends.
    Anonymous

• Aidan had a problem with constipation for a few days.. we added a little squirt of corn syrup to his bottle (it mixes in so they can't even taste it) and it really helped out. He had a little spell of waking up in the middle of the night too - he usually sleeps at least 12-15 hours - and he just stopped on his own. Maybe try giving him a few ounces more during his last feeding before bed? Or maybe you could try putting him to bed a half hour or hour later? I'd try the bigger feeding before I did that, though...
    wirelessbubbles

Answer by wirelessbubbles at 12:01 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Have you tried karo syrup in his bottles with the cereal? That usually helps with the constipation. All three of my kids would get constipated off of the cereal and the doctor said to use karo syrup and that should do the trick. He was right it worked. I would say continue with the cereal but if he still stays constipated then quit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• The unusual waking in the night could be caused by teething. My daughter did this. Teething made her schedule just fall apart.
    sunnygrl2

Answer by sunnygrl2 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Could be a phase. Could be a growth spurt. Could be teething. Could just be hungry!
    Maybe try a different food before bed if he has a problem with constipation. I have heard that baby oatmeal works well and doesn't have the same effect with constipation.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:36 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• **Check with a doctor before ever using Karo** Karo makers themselves warn against the use of their products in infants (botulism).

Teething or a growth spurt are normal for this age.  If the cereal is giving your son constipation please stop using it.  I know sleep is important but waking for one feeding is a very small price to pay as compared to the pain of constipation in your precious infant.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• he might b hungary...if the cereal helps...keeps giving hit to him and during the day give him bottles w dark karo syrup and water...it will toally help the constipation. for an 8 oz bottle...just put not even half an oz in....and the rest water! my son used 2 have that prob...and it worked great!
    mommyof3101

Answer by mommyof3101 at 7:44 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My son is nine months old, i noticed about a month ago he was whinier and woke during the night. I realized that he needed to have more food through out the day. When he gets constipated i give him gerber apple/prune baby food and/or juice. Even works on my four year olds constipation
    LuVzLiFeMoMwIfE

Answer by LuVzLiFeMoMwIfE at 11:12 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• oh i also read at that age it is normal for them to start waking up at night because they can do so much more and they are excited about moving about ect. Just be firm and not turn the lights on and stimulate him and he'll get back into schedule in no time.
    LuVzLiFeMoMwIfE

Answer by LuVzLiFeMoMwIfE at 11:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Mine is 8 months, she started to do the same. Bed at 8, up at 6 for daycare- now for the past week she had woken up at 11:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4:30... different nights of course.. some nights just for food, other nights just to play. I agree with Luvslife..be firm. That's what we're doing.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 12:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2008