Any sugestions on how to deal with the "winter-time blues",- other than medicine. I alway's get bummed out this time of year, but dont want to be on med's.

-teresa4

Asked by -teresa4 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Health

• Alcohol?
    Anonymous

• I get depressed too. I am a summer girl. I usually just do more baking, or read funny novels. Shopping is always good. Try to find a new hobby. Take a course on something you have always been interested in. Take dance lessons with your hubby/SO. There are a lot of things you can do. Most important, do something that makes you feel good about yourself. Charity work is always good.
    Goodthings

Answer by Goodthings at 11:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Keep your blinds and curtains open. Also, go outside often. Maybe off and on you can have a "Summer Day". Fix summer foods such as hotdogs, hamburgers, cold salads and play summer music like the Beach Boys, have fun with it.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:55 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• There is a condition called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) that can affect people living in more northerly areas. It's because we don't get as much sunlight during the winter months. I remember reading about light being used as a treatment. It may have been uv lights like in a tanning bed, and one of our local day spas/tanning salons advertises tanning as a "cure" for the winter blues.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:16 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I think that everyone goes through this around the holiday time. Because money these days are so crunched and the cost of living is so high. When I get overwhelmed I light a candle, take it in the bathroom, run some bath water, and put some bubbles in it. Make sure the kids are sleep, turn the music on low, pour some wine and just relax. I hope that thishelps. Happy thanksgiving!
    vroberts3677

Answer by vroberts3677 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 27, 2008