I've been wondering how mothers out there can have a family and work full time?

I am a mother of a 2 year old and a 6 year old. I also work full time but my job requires alot of overtime. I come from a family where my mother did not work and my father did. I just want to be there for my kids. Also I feel that I am losing touch with my husband.

Angie802

Asked by Angie802 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in About CafeMom

• Reality is, you can't be a wife, mom and full-time career woman 100%! SOMETHING has to give! How many women do you know that are career women and are divorced/single, or whose children are rebellious? I earned a 6 figure salary, before I decided to have children. I am TEMPORARILY a SAHM...until my younger child begins 1st grade...THEN it will be MY turn again! Really, is spending a few years at home establishing a bond with your children and strengthening the relationship with your husband that hard?! I'll be turning 40 when my younger child begins school. By that calculation, I can add as much as 25+ years to my career aspirations!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• first off, lose the guilt. spending time with your kids is great, but if they are starving to death because you don't have money for food or sick because you don't have money for doctors, maybe you should work. now, it is hard to work and have a job so my advice to you is to make what time you do have count. spend more time talking to yoru kids than watching tv with them. same goes wiht hubby. quality over quanity can still produce very close relationships.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• You say your job requires alot of overtime.. Is there a way to change that? I work part time right now but also "on call". You can be a mother and have a career. Don't feel guilty.
    EmmysMom85

Answer by EmmysMom85 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2008