Running

Are there any moms that have taken up running to lose weight and stay active?
I want to start running and my SO said it is a great way to lose weight. thats all he has done as a marine to get back into shape including eating better and drinking alot of water.

Has anyone started running if so how soon did u start to see results? and how long or far do ou run for?

MissChunkyLuv

Asked by MissChunkyLuv at 1:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I just started jogging 2 weeks ago. I walked miles every day for years, so i thought jogging would be easy. Let me tell you.....i could not run down the friggen street! So, i did some researching & started over. 1st day i would jog 1 min. then walk one min. The next time, i jogged 1min & 25 seconds & walked for 1 min. I'm slowly increasing the time that i jog every time & eventually will decrease the time i walk in between jogging. I'm only doing this for 1/2 hour until i will be able to jog for the whole entire 1/2 hour. Once i can jog for the whole entire 1/2 hour, then i will increase my exercise time tp 45 min. If i do more than that right now, i can burn myself out & i will not get any better. You have to take it easy in the beginning & SLOWLY build stamina.

If you have never run before, i suggest to start out like i did. If you work too hard, you won't want to to it again...trust me....do your research...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• within 2 weeks, i already dropped a size. I have not weighed myself yet, but i think my legs look sexier. Could be all in my head...lol, but at least i FEEL sexier & that is huge!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I started running and have lost about 30 pounds just by walking and running alone. I didn't start to really see results until about a month after I started running. I had been running off and on for a while, but the results came when I kept to it on a weekly basis. At the gym I will run for about 30 minutes every other day. On a monthly basis though I've been doing big runs. Our community did a series of runs. One month it was two miles, the next a 5k and another month it was 6 miles. This last race that I just did was a 7 mile run. I could tell the difference between each race. I was doing better and better.

Good luck! Just start out slow and work your way up. You can do it!
    somuchlove4U

Answer by somuchlove4U at 2:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would suggest that you begin a program such as c25K aka couch to 5K. It is a running program designed to teach someone to run a 5K (3.1 miles) in 9 weeks.
    I took up running in December 09' to lose weight. I lost 37 lbs in 5 months *just* by running. I did Insanity last May and lost an additional 12 lbs and 2"...after I finished I went back to running and lost another 8 lbs to hit my goal weight..
    I started my journey on 12/4/09 at 5'1", 167 lbs and a size 12...within 9 months I had gotten to 110 lbs and a size 0. All but 60 days of that was from running.
    I did interval training, as well 5K, 10K and now 1/2 marathon training.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have been doing Walk Away The Pounds videos for a long time and my favorite has been the ones that incorporate jogging in place. The "2 mile burn" one does walking and jogging intervals and really helped prepped me for jogging. I've only been jogging outside for a few days but I was able to go a lot farther and longer than I thought and I really attribute that to these workout DVD's!

Last week I lost 5 pounds mainly with doing that video everyday and then 20 minutes on my air climber (www.theairclimber.com) which burns about 200 calories. The last 2 days I jogged and power walked about 1 and a quarter mile in a large block and I will be building up my endurance and keeping that up.

I've registered for a 5K next month so, I consider this training, now.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• WOW.. all of your stories are really making me want to get up and start this. I had been working out alot off and on at the gym. I do really great and after a day or two my body gets back into the groove. last summer i was working out 5 days a week and did the cancer walk ride or roll. my friends and I both did roller blading i was shocked we did 7 miles. I didnt think i would do more than 2 lol it had been forever since i been on skates an dont remember the last time I walked over a mile other than working out. i felt great. thanks for all of the options im going to see which works best for me.
    MissChunkyLuv

Comment by MissChunkyLuv (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Within two weeks you will notice a difference. To me when it starts feeling less like work and you really start enjoying it you know you are healthier.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 3:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My knees don't allow me to run *sigh*....
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No running for me. Two hip replacements.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Definitely check out couch to 5k. It's a great beginner program. I started running Oct '09 and fell in love. I've run several 5k's, 2 half marathons (13.1 miles) an overnight relay race with a team of girls and now training for a full marathon (26.2 miles) I started not being able to run more than 4 min at a time - and even that was VERY difficult and built up from there which is what c25k helps with. Don't fall into the trap that running allows you to eat more - I made that mistake at 1st, you still need to reduce calories. It is a GREAT way to get calorie burn though as on average a 150lb woman will burn about 100 calories per mile - add to that if you weigh more or have more muscle.
    Eating well is what has helped me drop 65lbs but running has allowed me to truly get in good shape allowing me to workout harder!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2011