Saving money sinful?!

Referring to Luke 12:13-21

My husband is very concerned with saving money and retirement plans, ect... I'm a Christian and try to stay in the word but fail many times. I don't think he understands much about God although he says believes in him. I take him to church when we can but feel he is doesn't really get it, I have grown up going to church. Lately, I've been trying to be successful at my in home daycare and have been working my tail off. This is my first real job where I've been able to make money. We are saving but then I read this devotion and read these verses today and feel like it's sinful to save. My husband and I are very blessed to have a family and a house we rent, cars, and some nice things. I'm very grateful but we do want to save up a lot so we can have mo.re time for our family. Is this bad? I always feel so lost...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No it is not sinful to save money! Sin could come in with it turning into greed, not wanting to help others, or pride of what you have. God wants us to be good stewards of our money. We are also to be charitable and giving of it also. But saving for your family's future and/or retirement, that is not a sin.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 1:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• it has more to do with greed, rather than being prosperous and taking care of your family and future. Do not be enticed with greed or wealth.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't see where savings could be wrong at all. Read up on being 'good stewards' of your finances...totally scriptural to prepare for the future.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Why do you save money? To retire? To buy more expensive cars or toys? For security? In Luke 12, Jesus is pointing to a higher issue--a correct attitude toward the accumulation of wealth. Life is more than material goods; far more important is our relationship with God. Jesus put his finger on this man's heart. This man was accumulating wealth only to enrich himself, with no concern for helping others. If you are tithing, being a good steward of your finances, and helping others, then saving money is not a sin.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 3:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No.. its not sinful.. read the story of the talents... I do not have a savings yet but when I do.. it will be to sow into the Kingdom and bless those in the Kingdom as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• no, the act of saving is not the problem, but rather the intention of saving. are you saving money just so you can buy lots of "stuff" or are you saving it for your family, your kids futures? and from what verse 21 says are you giving some back to God? ( "This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God." ) if you are being greedy or selfish with your money then it could be sinful, but not saving at all for your futures would be squandering the gifts God has given you. there is a fine line between financial security & greed...you have to find that balance.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I also do not believe it is a sin to save up for your family's future well being. You never know when you or DH may be jobless or come into a hard medical situation where you will need this money. It is smart to save and not sinful.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2011