Keeping it fair between siblings on Christmas

We want to get our daughter an Exersaucer for Christmas. Obviously, she won't really remember this Christmas. My son however is seven. We aren't getting him anything BIG but we are getting him something as expensive as the Exersaucer. Would it be completely ridiculous to only get our daughter a couple things in addition to the big item and then our son more gifts than we do our daughter? I am worried that he will think since she got something big and he didn't, we spoiled her and it was uneven. I don't think he understands the price value that the little video game he is getting is the same price as the big exersaucer thing. I am thinking exersaucer and two gifts and stocking for daughter and then video game, five or six gifts and stocking for son? Does that make sense to anyone else?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yes, it makes sense. I think it sounds fine. There are so MANY ways to be "fair" - same dollar amount, same number, same size.
    You are right, she won't remember. And you're right, his grasp of cost is probably shaky. Be sure to start teaching him that size and cost are different.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:31 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Yes, it does. Maybe you can start explaining to your son that Santa is always fair. Also, start explaining the price of items. Let him know that if Santa gets this video game for him then he might only get a few more items with it on Christmas.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2008