how do i get my 1 yr old to sleep in his own room in his crib

my baby boy has been in the bed with us for 1 full year...now we are expecting another baby and need his lil tush to sleep in his own room...this is very hard for us because all he does is cry and scream and we are worried of what could come of this..is it right to just take him away from what he knew his lil life and give him such a big change...

bigdaddy777

Asked by bigdaddy777 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• let him CIO...you should have done it sooner. now it will take a while. ok i have a question...how did you get pregnant if he was sleeping with you every night???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• i went thru this with my daughter. it was easy for her to sleep with me because i nursed and i didn't want to get up in the night cause i was super tired. It took one week and each day gets better. put him in his crib tell him you love and goodnight, crack the door. He will cry and scream but wach night less and less. It will not kill him but if you give in and get him out he will never learn and that is the worst thing you can do. If you need to let your SO stay home while you go out and take a walk so you don't get upset then do it. Every night do this and in less then a week it will be only a memory. He will NEVER remeber this nor will he dislike you. It is in both of your best intrests. It need to be done quickly or else it will just get harder and harder. As much as it sounds mean it is the best thing you will have ever done once he adjusts.
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 1:15 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My dd has been sleeping with us since day one as well and we have started to transition her into her own bed as well. She also screams and cries at night so we have started in steps. I have started putting her in her own room for naps and then at night once we get her to sleep we put her in her room until she wakes up in the middle of the night. Sometimes she sleeps in there 4 hours sometimes all night it just depends on her moods. SO, I think starting it slow and transitioning him over to his room by introducing him a little bit at a time will work.

Please dont listen to the first poster because there are many benefits of co-sleeping and I personally dont believe in CIO.

I hope this works for you, we are hoping it works for us too! Good Luck!
    CadysMom

Answer by CadysMom at 7:04 PM on Nov. 25, 2008