How can I help my severely depressed parents age 55?

My parents are very depressed and alcoholics.I worry about them as they are not in a permanent job and it seems they are getting worse.They both have voiced their depression to me and I always tell them they need to go to their doctor but then they don't have health insurance.The thing that is really upsetting me greatly is that my mom told me my dad has said about killing himself 2 times and the thought of it makes me sick.My mom is always on the computer and my dad thinks she is cheating on him.I try to encourage them and constantly pray for them but I feel things are getting worse.They have good weeks and really bad weeks.I don't know nothing of the steps to get them help-as far as making them go-because they can't afford counseling and I didn't know if there is a program to help dire need situations!If anyone has been in this situaion or has any info on how to go about helping them-I really think they need a professional now!On a side note they were going to church a couple months ago and were doing a little better but had stopped and are back into their selfish routine.They have 2 grandkids and don't even stop to visit unless they want something.I reminded my mom that we do care and that they need to think of their family and what they are doing and that they are so blessed in the things they do have.I try to encourage them but feel it is time to intervene.Please help....My childhood was full of problems too such as them getting drunk every weekend and breaking stuff.Even now my parents were calling me at 3-4 am asking me to talk to my drunk mom and I told them not to do that because my husband has to go to work the next day!On nights they aren't drinking they get mad if you call after 9 pm.It is so bad I don't know what to do...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Health

• I'm not really sure there is anything you can do. If they want help they could probably find it and if they aren't working why don't they have insurance through the state?
    Unless they WANT help- they will probably not get it :(

I hope things get better with them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My parents have never been happy as long as I can remember.....you are right about if they want help they will try to get it and if not they choose their own path.....Thanks for the comment,I am feeling like I have done what I can do but didn't know if that was enough.My grandma said the same thing to me but it is hard to just let them go.I will continue to encourage them though.Thanks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• You are wonderful to be so concerned. But I agree that unless they want help there is little you can do. We tried forever to help my alcoholic father and he would have nothing to do with it.
    Anonymous