Would you take your child to the ER for an ear infection?

Our pediatrician does not have any more appts. available today. The urgent care center does not take our insurance. I can call tomorrow morning to get an appt. at our doctor's office for tomorrow. My son has never had an ear infection before (he is 3 1/2) and he was just crying, well, bawling, because his ear hurt. I gave him motrin and he eventually fell asleep for his nap. I am dreading when the motrin wears off. I was debating on taking him to the ER when dh got home and could stay with the our other kids. Would you or should I just wait for tomorrow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oh man, that is a tough one. I think yes, I probably would, if he is in that much pain. It is still going to take a while before the antibiotics will start making a difference in the pain. Poor thing. Sounds like a terrible situation you are in! I hope he feels better soon!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• to Dullscissors, there's a lot the ER can do, such as prescribing an antibiotic. And yes, I would take my child to the ER for an ear infection if there were no other option. I've had ear infections before, and as an adult, the pain is like nothing I've ever felt before. I wouldn't make a child go through that.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• yes if I can't get to his private Doctor..
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• He doesn't have a fever. Just the running nose, congestion, cough, he has had this for about 3 days and today it is much worse. Then he started the screaming and grabbing his ear in pain. My oldest has had ear infections a couple of times and has never had a fever with them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• oh well, in that case..get thee to the ER!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• btw..i'd still treat the pain, continually..until the doctor/ER says otherwise.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I can't make an appt. for tomorrow until tomorrow morning. That is how their doctor's office works. You have to call in the morning, first come first serve, even if you call the day before and they know you need an appt. I think it is kind of stupid but that is how they do it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have taken my daughter to the ER for an ear infection before, same situation as you. They will be able to get him started on his first dose of antibiotics if the pharmacys are not open or of course if they are you will be able to get his meds tonight. Poor thing. Whatever you decide, do not stop giving him his pain medicine. You can alternate motrin and tylenol to keep the medicine in his system.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Definately would. Those can be so painful :(
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would because I wouldn't want my child in pain nd if you ever had a bad ear infection it hurts. My daughter was 4 years last summer and she was fine all day long then all the suddwn at about 5 or 6 she started crying that her ear hurt. I called the doctor (it was a friday) they couldn't get her in until Monday, but they told me if she is to uncomfertable to take her to the er so I did and they said she had a really bad ear infection. So I would take him if it hurts him to bad.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011