For those who had early ultrasounds...

If you have had an ultrasound at around 5 weeks - did you see the heartbeat?
I know it's not guaranteed for there to be a heartbeat at 5 weeks, but I'd like to know how many people did - and how many people didn't, but had healthy babies anyway.

EDIT: I also want to know, would you be able to tell if there are multiple babies at this point? Like if we had twins?

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I did but it was very faint, but I was close to being 6 weeks.
    jaydensmommy427

Answer by jaydensmommy427 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I had one at 5 1/2 wks Not only could you NOT see a heartbeat, all they saw was a sac. Couldn't even see the baby. She's 5 yrs old now so obviously there was a baby in there.
    Anonymous

• I had an ultrasound done at 5 weeks with my first. She was barely a little blimp on the screen. They actually were shocked to see her at that point. No I didn't see a heartbeat. Heart starts beating at about 6 weeks, my little blimp on the screen is a now a happy, beautiful 3 year old :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think the earliest one i have had was around 8 or 9 so not nearly as early as you. But has your doctor said anything to you about seeing any problems? If you are worried make sure to ask your doctor at your next visit. Or you can always call and ask thats what they are there for to help you.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 2:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I haven't had an u/s yet. I am debating when to schedule one. My hubby won't let me tell anybody until we have an ultrasound, but I want to tell people LOL so to me, the sooner the better! But I don't want to wind up being all concerned either.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I had mine at 6 weeks so I did see that little beating on the screen. The "baby" looked like a little line. She is almost 2 1/2 now and very healthy. It did make the preganancy real very quickly too (I've heard many women say it doesn't seem real at 1st) If you are getting it because you "want" it and don't need it (mine was to be sure the pregnancy was not ectopic) then I would wait one more week. Try to savor the secret just a little bit
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 2:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have a history of recurrent miscarriages, so I'll be getting an ultrasound on dr's orders by 8 weeks at the very latest anyway. We are supposed to spend this weekend with his family, and I just don't think I can keep it secret if I have to be around family that long!! LOL!
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Heartbeat appointments are around 10 weeks, so I'm not sure what you mean by 5 weeks for heart!
    I am going in this week to use the Doppler to hear a heart (at 10 weeks) but I may get an u/s IF it's illusive. I'm not for overuse of u/s, and it's not medically necessary to have one at all unless there is a problem before 12 weeks. I just refuse to do the internal again if I don't have to...I found it WAY too invasive.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 3:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• You can't hear heartbeat with doppler until 10-12 weeks, but you can SEE it on an ultrasound at 5-6 weeks. I don't mind the invasiveness. Maybe I'm weird. I lack modesty and the reward far outweighs the embarrassment/discomfort.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yes, I had an "internal" ultrasound at 5 weeks & I did see & hear the heartbeat & they can tell if you are having multiples.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011