How to deal with sexual assult?

I was sexually assulted in high school and I seem to be having a difficult time dealing with it again. It seemed to arise after the birth of my first child.

I just don't know how to deal. It seems to affect every aspect of my life. I don't talk about it much, but it definetly has been bothering me.

Any ideas or words of encouragement? Any would help at this point.

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Health

• Find a therapist who specializes in sexual assault victims.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• been there to and i just sort of pushed aside all the bad things and focused on the positive things yes i still think about it but i dont let it bother me because my life is so much better. if its wasnt for the things that happened in my past i wouldnt be where i am today
    goobersmom713

Answer by goobersmom713 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• get some counseling.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Been in a similar situation. Counseling would be great if you can afford it. For me, I just take it day by day and remind myself that I am a survivor, not a victim and that my abuser has no power over my life.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 2:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I say find a therapist that specializes in sexual matters like assault and such. You're definitely in need of it if you haven't been able to deal with it yourself thus far. Good luck, hun :)

SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 2:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• 1st of all, sorry for the pain that caused you. Everyone is different, but I think that facing it and talking about it can help. There are many things you can do for help in healing. You can talk to a counselor, confront the abuser, use writing therapy, join a support group but as far as I can see one of the biggest things is to control your thinking. Past-tripping is dangerous. When the triggers come up, just stop the thoughts and replace them with gratitude. Look up "Two Wolves" a Cherokee Parable. It is the side of us that we feed which controls us. Be aware of your thinking for from it comes your actions and reactions. It takes practice. It will always be a fact from your past - just accept it as a fact. Nothing you can think or do will change what happened. It was a bad thing, but it is now done. Focus on the good things in your present and yet to come.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have been raped twice, when I was 13, & then again just under a year ago... the first one it took me up until 3 yrs ago to really get over, and as horrible as it seems the reason I did was because the guy who did it was being stupid, and was locked up in his house having a gun fight with officers, and ended up getting shot and died... This last time, I was at my besties & her BF's bestfriend did it, I ain't completely over it, but I talk to my DH & my bestie and her BF about it when it gets to me. April 7th is gonna be a horrible day for me
    via86

Answer by via86 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• OMFG, Via.. That is absolutely horrible. I'm so sorry. For you and the poster :(

SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 3:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2011