anyone have any advice on potty training?

We just started potty training our daughter a week ago. She loves to sit on "her" potty and gets treats when she does. But no results yet, am I expecting something to soon? This is my 1st potty training experience!

tamrin55

Asked by tamrin55 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lots of people think that you should "wait til their ready", which could be forever if you keep changing those diapers for them. I used a great book...."Toliet Training in Less Than a Day" by Nathan Azrin. It worked great for me and my son was completely potty trained at 20 months. He is now 23 months old and still doing great!
    17kimberly17

Answer by 17kimberly17 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Did she show at least half of the readiness signs?
    Getting her to realize what the potty is for takes time. The first time is usually an accident. Once they pee or poop in it the first time though, they start to make the connection. It may still take months before they really clue in - the younger the child, the longer it takes for them to realize what you expect and how to do it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Your daughter is only 18 months old, it might be too soon. Letting her practice sitting on her potty chair is a great idea, but don't give her rewards for that. That could backfire on you... pretty soon she'll go sit on the chair, do nothing, but EXPECT a reward for it. I'd say that you could continue letting her practice (maybe even with her clothes on) but I wouldn't start TRAINING until she can take off her own pants, can tell you when she needs to go, wakes up from nap and/or bedtime with a dry diaper, etc.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2008