Anyone's teenager have Psoriasis and or Gluten sensitivity?

My daughter is 16, has Psoriasis and is gluten sensitive..I have done some research on the symptoms of Psoriasis..WhatI have found is it is an Auto-Immune Disease..My question is: Is their anyone who has a child/teenager with this problem?..and if so can anyone give me some natural alternative suggestions that has worked for their children??..I do know that her diet has alot to do with it..considering she is also gluten sensitive. ... Thanks, Amy B

mumstheword155

Asked by mumstheword155 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My brother has had psoriasis for most of his life. There are different kinds. He has the kind where he gets spots all over his body. The sun definitely helps him out a lot. My mom also got him a tanning bed for the less sunny months, and that also helped. He now gives himselfs injections, I think it's about once a month. These are amazing, can't even tell he has it anymore. I can't remember the name of the medicine, but it has worked better than anything else he tried (basically everything in the books). They are hard on his liver, and his dermatologist told him he shouldn't drink alcohol while on this medication, however he occasionally does. Send me a message if you want me to get some more info from him for you. I know his psoriasis caused him a lot of hardships and brought down his self-esteem when he was younger, it's hard to deal with sometimes.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• While I cannot vouch for this personally, the Feingold Association (a non-profit dedicated to solving health, learning and behavioral issues through nutrition) claims that psoriasis can be helped by the using the Feingold program. More information at www.feingold.org. BTW, they also have lots of information about gluten free.
    DrRama

Answer by DrRama at 2:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Is there a certain reason why you want a homeopathic remedy? You do know that homeopathy is just another term for placebo and contains no actual medication whatsoever. My husband has psoriasis and treats it with a topical cream. There are pills a person can take but they affect your immune system and leave you open for contracting other illnesses and diseases and are generally only used in last resort cases. Sun exposure can also reduce the effects of psoriasis but of course no dermatologist will recommend that because of the risk of skin cancer. Take your daughter to a dermatologist and get a cream prescribed to her. If she uses it every day her psoriasis will fade. As far as I know there is no "cure" for psoriasis.
    Wandybrine

Answer by Wandybrine at 2:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Thanks so much for your feed-back..She has it in her scalp and behind her ears..not sure what the technical term is!..I am leary about putting her on meds..I have done research on alot of meds out there and yes they can be damaging to hear health. We have seen a dermatologist who put her on steroids and special medicated shampoos which did not work..also the shampoo's contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate which is none to cause more health problems!..I would appreciate it if you could please get more info. on the med he uses...Ya I know, my daughter's self-esteem is not that good at the moment!
    mumstheword155

Comment by mumstheword155 (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• DrRama, Thank you for this information I will check it out!. :)
    mumstheword155

Comment by mumstheword155 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Ok, I just facebooked him! He works nights, so he's still sleeping, but I'll get back to you as soon as I hear from him.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yes I do know what homeopathic means..Thank you for making me aware..I should have worded it differently..I do not like all the side effects that come along with conventional meds...I do know there are some that do work. My concern is for my daughter's health and well-being..Her immune system is very weak at this time..Would like to build it up naturally.
    mumstheword155

Comment by mumstheword155 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• EverydayMomma, Thanks so much!
    mumstheword155

Comment by mumstheword155 (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I asked him what he's found that works best, he's been fighting this for a loooong time.

His response:
    "Well Im on Humira but I couldnt get it till I was 18. When I was on all the topicals that didnt help that much. I found tanning was the best added to the topicals. Just like 5 mins a day."

The topicals, he's talking about the steroid creams they gave him (probably similar to the shampoo they gave your daughter, just because his was all over his body). I do know that his Humira is hard on his immune system. If he is sick, he skips it until he gets heathly again. I think that's pretty much the way it goes with psoriasis. All the meds bring down the immune system even more, but I know especiallly during the teen years, they want their symptoms hidden as much as possible. It's kind of a pick the worse of two evils sort of situation. I'm sorry your daughter has to struggle with this.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 3:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Well thanks so much for trying!!..I will keep searching though!..If I should come across something that really helps I will let you know for your broyher! :)
    mumstheword155

Comment by mumstheword155 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2011