Do you think camera crews from the media should step in and help out?

While watching the tsunami hit on CNN, the camera crew (in a chopper) captured people asking for help. Do you think they should step in and help them or keep shooting?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 2:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If they can help of course they should! They can't just watch and film people die.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• But some do. Cause it makes good news. Isn't that ridiculous?
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i'm not sure 'some do' is accurate. you aren't in the helicopter with the crew, in order to make that kind of judgement call.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• With what training? Responding to these types of situations can be hazardous to the responders, should they put themselves at risk, possibly creating more harm then good? I strongly agree that anyone who has the training and ability to do so step up and get involved but no one needs a bunch of "help" from those that have no idea what they are doing.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 2:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No but I do know that the news feeds on tragedies like this. So it wouldn't surprise me.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I watched a news episode on youtube that was floating around the internet, it was in a different country than the US, it was of a mass-murder, people being shot, stabbed and so forth,.......and there the news people were, just filming along. Filming the innocent lives of people being murdered, and even the dead bodies. It made me SICK! I could only watch a few seconds of it because it was so sad and sickening
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I strongly agree that anyone who has the training and ability to do so step up and get involved but no one needs a bunch of "help" from those that have no idea what they are doing.

===

Hey! If I'm surrounded by death and I see a man in a helicopter hovering over my flooding house, I wouldn't give a damn if they were a professional or not, I would kiss their ass for life if they rescued me.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No I really don't. Their job is to report the plight of those people so that rescue crews will help them and people watching will donate money to help them.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I went to a museum that had photos of tragic events over the last century and there was a photo of an infant in Samolia, sitting there, crying and starving to death. THe man behind the camera was asked why didn't he help the infant? He said he's had regrets about not rescuing that baby and he ended up killing himself. I think to say that you should only help someone if you are "properly trained" is a bit selfish. That person needing help doesn't care if you're professionally trained or not, they just want someone to help them.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• BTW That camera man who took the photo of that starving baby ended up killing himself over it.
    Imogine