Do you think it's unhealthy for a 21 month old to play alone in their room for 30-45 minutes?

Safety and baby proofing isn't an issue in this house. But, I am wanting to hear from other Moms. Outside of sleep or nap time our child is never in her room.

However, I am thinking of starting to implement 30 minutes or so a day so she can go chill in her room. This will give me some time to get the upstairs area clean (which is currently not maintained very well). Being a SAHM I find it very difficult to get this area handled while my DH is not at home, and when he is home he never thinks to clean up here. The reason I am thinking of this is because I can't leave her downstairs while I do things. She is climbing on everything including the TV stand, so she is not able to be left unsupervised.

But, I don't know if it's "cruel" or "unusual" for parents to put their kids in their rooms for a bit each day. Our home is three stories tall, so she doesn't have open access to it. Any feed back? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's fine if she likes it. It is not OK if you shut her in her room and she cries, wanting to get out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as there's nothing she get hurt herself on, etc. I try to do that with my son, but he doesn't like to stay in one place lol
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• As long as she likes it, I mean if she starts screaming about it & wont stay you cant force her to.
    Anonymous

• I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as she is safe. I mean I think it is important for children to learn to entertain themselves at some point. If you don't start teaching them at a young age then they will always expect you to play with them. I have a friend who always entertained her children when they were young and now if they aren't entertained they are fighting with each other all the time.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No, she doesn't like it, but she's not used to it either. Out of the rooms that are up here she'd much rather be in our room or the office, not in her room. Unfortunately she's NEVER allowed in the office and she can't be in our room when I am cleaning. She isn't crying consistently, it's just more of complaining. Every minute or two she will get verbal and whine a bit, then she's okay. She knows where I am when she's upstairs, and she wants to be with me. But with cleaning supplies, she can't be.

Now, onto a topic I didn't cover - I never remotely implied I would do that.

Thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• it's fine...it's very healthy for them to have alone time as well as you. My daughter is 2 1/2 and the same way...I have a baby gate in front of her door and she just tries to climb it. I have a huge dog that I dont' leave alone with her, so that is my obstacle. just try a few minutes at a time and make it a positive experience. Yes, the time alone is great for both of you.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Anon - There's a baby gate on her door. She can't get out. However, her door is open.

Cornflake - She does a VERY good job at entertaining herself downstairs. But, she is used to being downstairs. She isn't used to playing in her room. =/
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No. It's normal.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• You should play with him.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would keep her in your room while you clean. Why can't she be? Give her a damp cloth and let her help you polish the furniture. She'll love it. Let her sweep.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2011