Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I NEED PEDIATRICIAN HELP!! Are there peds with who specialize in different things (i.e: ALLERGY) like adult Dr.'s?

If my hubby has a lot of allergies (dust, grass, cat fur, &others) I know there is a good chance our son will have some or all. Is there a special ped to see?
Can I take measures myself until we find the right ped? I try to keep it as dust and allergen free, but feel I could do more.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (4)
  • Certainly. Just look in the phone book..

    Answer by kaycee14 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • The best defense for allergies is to breastfeed.    "Protection from allergies is one of the most important benefits of breastfeeding. The incidence of cow's milk allergies is up to seven times greater in babies who are fed artificial baby milk instead of human milk (Lawrence 1994)."

    As the PP said yes there are Pediatric Specialists.


    Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • Your ped may do allergy testing themselves- if not they should be able to refer you to a pediatric allergist. If you have known allergies in your family it is best to air on the side of caution and keep baby away from those items until you talk to you ped about it. I wouldn't panic about it- your child has not had any allergic reactions yet, right? I would familiarize myself with the warning signs of an allergic reaction & make an appointment and talk to your ped about this concern.

    Answer by litstargazer at 2:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • There are certainly pediatric allergy specialists around. Also just call around and talk to the peds in your area. I absolutely LOVE our ped because all my kids have allergies and asthma, and so does she. So I trust her advice over anyone elses because she lives with it and knows first hand what they are going through. So just ask the different peds in your area if they have much experience with allergies and such. There may be absolutely no need to see a specialist, since they are typically much more expensive anyway.

    Answer by bkbecca at 5:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.