Medical bills affect my credit?

6 years ago, I was 18, I was admitted into a psych ward for 10 days due to my inmaturity, wanting attention, claiming I was going to kill myself to my friends..etc.. It was a phase, one which I'm very embarressed of, but true.

I walked away, never went to my follow ups etc. I moved around so much then, I never even got the medical bills etc. and I didn't have insurance at the time. Weird thing is even though I've always had creditors find me due to other bills I'd racked up around that "phase", medically I've never once been contact, nor have my parents. Throughtout the years up until the last 3 when I've cleaned up my act, paid bills etc. creditors would eventually find me through my parents address. Now, that all has been brought up to date all I have is this huge looming (or I assumed huge) medical bill. My question is why doesn't it show up on my credit, and 2 how do I find out if it's on there even if it's not on my credit? I don't want to pay off 30-40 thousand. So if I'm good, sounds horrible of me to say, but I'd rather walk away & not stir the pot. But I can slowly tackle this if need be, I just don't know where to start.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes, medical bills will KILL your credit. However, are you sure you weren't covered by insurance of one kind or another? Even if it was still under your parents? Most insurance companies still consider 18 year olds to be under the parents policy. Unless your parents didn't have insurance at all.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• First off, how many years has it been. I'm a little confused here. You say it doesn't show up on your credit, then you want to find out if it is?? I'm sorry but you chose to run up a bill and it's coming back to haunt you. If you want a clean credit score, you have to handle this. If you don't care, then just avoid it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• 6 years, and no it's not showing up on my credit . I've paid everything that showed a few years ago when I started cleaning things up and it never showed. But 2, no my parents did not have insurance. The hospital says they've no financial debt on me when I call them, but it HAS been 6 years..so what I'm trying to figure out is, if they sent it to an agency and how do I know where? That's my question. I'm willing to tackle it slowly, but just confused.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• If it is not on your credit. Don't worry about it.  

Answer by louise2 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• And yes, I continue to run credit reports every 6 months and nothing shows up, as recent as January..nothing still
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• The agency would have contacted you in these 6 years.

Answer by louise2 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• After 7 years a collector can no longer collect on a debt.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 3:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• momto1girl3boys - I didn't know that. It's like a statute of limitiations rule?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Dont worry about it. They wrote it off a long time ago. BUT beware of unsavory credit collectors popping up claiming that you still owe it (after 7 yrs they cant come after you legally...and if they wrote it off they cant come after you anyhow). If you start getting calls from collection agency after this long ignore them.
    Anonymous

• Ah okay. LOL Yeah, I'd leave it too! If it's not on your credit it's probably a non issue. Makes sense.. :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2011