babies on a airplane, do tell...

i'm getting ready for a christmas flight with a six month old, and im ready to learn from others experience. please share.

MaVie

Asked by MaVie at 12:35 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First check with the airlines and see what the regulations are for your child...such as car seat and stroller on planes. I believe the only type of stroller you can carry on the plan is like a umbrella stroller anything any bigger has to be checked in under the plan and it is considered another piece of luggage so check your luggage rates also.

The only experience I have had with small children on planes is sitting behind them when they are crying. lol I'm sure you flight will go well. If you are worried about your child crying and disturbing others then try and sit towards the back of the plane because the jet engine drowns out all the noise. It might even be soothing for your child. Best wishes.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:39 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I have flown many times with my little one.His first flight was at 6 weeks old...he did great and slept the entire way...I was also breastfeeding, and made sure he was nursing when we took off to prevent his ears from building up....we flew again around 6 mouths..the same with the breastfeeding during take off and landing. If your child is bottle feed I'd make sure you are able to grab a bottle out of your carryon with one hand. :-) I never brough a purse on board. I'd pack my purse and carry my wallet in the diaper bag. I was able to take my large stroller on the plane..they just pack it at the plane enterance. We also tried to fly in the early mornings. One more tip....:-) Try to relax. I know that's easier said then done...if he does scream and cry just try to comfort him and ignore rude people if you encounter any. Baby can sense your emotions. Good luck momma...all will be fine :-)
    tapshoes4

Answer by tapshoes4 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• 1) Instead of a dipaer bag and/or purse, pack it all into a backpack. 2) Possibly try to fly during the time of day when you feel that it would best for your baby, for example: nap time, night time, or when baby is in it's best mood. 3) Yes, definetly either breast or bottle feed during landing and take off to help prevent pressure build up in the ears. 4) If you want to, because you have a baby, you are allowed to ask for the Bulkhead seats (the seats at the front of each section which have no seats in front of them, just a wall - there is ample floor space there which is easier with a squirmy little one. 4) Pack some new toys the baby has never seen and pull them out during the flight as needed. 5) Remember, the flight won't last forever!
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 2:52 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I would say make everyone around you cookies and pass out ear plugs and in a nice voice say just in case and I am sorry ahead of time. lol who could get mad at you then I would do it for the people next to you and in front and behind you. also make sure that your baby is sucking on something while you are taking off and landing. and remember to relax. and breath.
    Anita
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 3:07 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I made a trip to europe with my 6 month old - thats total 14 hours flight! Take some favorite toys, and introduce them by one, like this it'll look like surprise. Of course, bottle, breast or just a pacifier during take off and landing. Take your ipod, download some ralaxation music - It worked great with me, when things got really crazy,, it helped to stay sane. Good luck!
    Tanusha32

Answer by Tanusha32 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• You only have 1 baby an he/she is only 6 months old- so relax- flying should be a piece of cake as long as you are prepared. I have gone overseas and back 2 times- 12 hours each way with my babies with no real problems. If it is a long flight ask for a bassinett seat- they usually only have this option for international flights- but ask anyway. The bassinett seat has lots of leg room for mommy and a bassinett that attaches to the wall in front of you for baby. If you breast feed bring a cover for yourself- if you bottle feed you can have the attendants warm your bottles for you. Pack yourself at least one extra shirt for spills, spit-up etc. If baby is taking finger food- bring that, pacifiers (a few), neck pillow for you, sling so your arms don't fall asleep holding baby : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 2:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2008