If I don't have brown sugar......

I'm trying a new recipe for zesty BBQ Chicken in the crockpot and it calls for brown sugar...I don't have any and DH has the car...can I substitute white suugar for brown or would that be a disaster?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• How to Make Brown Sugar

1 cup granulated cane sugar
    1 Tablespoon unsulfured molasses
    In a medium sized bowl, mix together the sugar and molasses. It’s that easy. There’s a part in this process where the molasses is super gunky and clumpy. You’ll think to yourself: Joy, you were wrong… this is coming out all wrong. Don’t worry. keep mixing it all together. It will even itself out. Work it until completely incorporated and no big molasses globs remain. For dark brown sugar, add another tablespoon of molasses. Use as you would in your favorite cake and cookie recipes. Store in an airtight container or in a ziplock bag with the air pressed out. Dang that’s easy!
    lilliedoll

Answer by lilliedoll at 4:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• DON'T SUB MOLASSES!!!!!! mixing some molasses with sugar is how you make brown sugar!!! i dont know the exact recipe, but im sure it wouldnt be hard to find...
    lilliedoll

Answer by lilliedoll at 4:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i wouldnt subsitute it but eh...gosh i dont know what it would turn out like! LOL
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Do you have molasses? Sub that instead.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Did you get that recipe from allrecipes.com? if it is the zesty bbq chicken recipe from that site you are in for a treat my dear! I make it all the time and everyone raves. This is random, but try topping the sandwiches with cucumber, radishes, and coleslaw mix (without any dresssing in it, just the shredded cabbage)

As for your actual question, I really don't know what to tell ya! I've read before that you can substitute a blend of white sugar and molasses for brown sugar but i've never tried it and don't know the ratios.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 3:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• maybe some syrup?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• @Bootsky YEAH I found it on allrecipes! Thanx for the tip...I'm just hoping I don't mess it up lol. @cheekycherub if it calls for 1/4 cup do I substitute the SAME amount of molasses or less?
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• OMG! Thankyou so much @lilliedoll!!!! That sounds super easy!! I'm new at this whole cooking thing lol trying to come up with something different to make everyday (DH doesnt like leftovers) is killing me lol....thanx alot! =)
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Maple syrup will do it, not white sugar!!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2011