Would YOU be pissed?

Monday my daughter was diagnosed strep. We got meds and she's doing great.

Friday my husband got strep. I called the doctor's office at 2:15 pm to get the same meds for him, per the doctor's verbal advice. 3:15 pm I call back trying to figure out if I can go get the meds for him. 5:00 pm I finally get confirmation that I can go get them. When bitching at the office they told me they never got the request until 3:15.

Sunday my son starts showing symptoms. *sigh* And, of course, the doctor's office is closed on Sunday's. So this morning at 8:00am I call the office to get the meds for my son and I'm told that the doctor that saw my daughter isn't in until 11:00 and the on-call doctor won't be in until 10:00. And I was told if they didn't call back by noon to call them again. Noon rolls around and no call so I call them, only to get "Oh I'm sorry the doctor is busy seeing patients and hasn't gotten to you yet." And I get some BS answer about the doctors not even being able to get to phone calls until they go to lunch.

WTF????!??! My baby has been miserable for a day and a half and you can't be bothered to check your phone messages until 4 hours after the call has been placed?

Am I overreacting or are they being stupid?

*edit: My "baby" is 7 1/2 and my daughter is 4.

*Edit2: This is NOT the normal doctor we see. She's wonderful. It just seems like the clinic overall is failing miserably and giving me the runaround and the lame platitudes.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 3:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Health

• honestly, i would be thrilled that i could simply call in and ask for a prescription rather than dragging 3 children to the doctor's office. i would be more understanding of having to wait if the doctor worked around my busy schedule as well and let me slide with coming in to pay him a visit. im surprised they would even prescribe antibiotics without even checking him out?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I wouldnt be pissed. I would understand there was a miscommunication and that the doctor is busy with other patients. I would ask if I could take my son to the ER then or have them call in a script as soon as they could.

Answer by gemgem at 3:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Overreacting. We are going thru the strep throat thing at my house as well. I had it, the youngest child had it and we are both on medication. When the oldest child started showing signs as well I called the pediatrician hoping to just get a script for him. No way would they do that without seeing him first. Irritated me because it just makes sense he has it also. When we call the doctor we never get a return call until after visiting hours that day. Even with medicine your child will still be miserable for a couple of days, there is not instant cure for strep.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Doctors are buy, and they have schedules and appointments. Seeing as you don't have an appointment, I'd expect some of a wait and would not expect immediate help. It sounds as if you'll get the prescription today, just not immediately.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• How can a doctor diagnose every one with strep if he only seen one with strep?

Answer by louise2 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• You arent the only patients. They are busy & you have to wait your turn like everyone else & sometimes that takes a bit. Its not fun. But its life. You're lucky you didnt have to take all of them in.
    Anonymous

• I am surprised they diagnosed and faxed an Rx in did not insist on seeing your husband and son and testing them for strep to make sure that is what they actually have. You should be grateful that they did take your phone call and fax an Rx--- I KNOW my doctor's office won't prescribe without seeing my children-- which means getting worked into the schedule at whatever time they have available, driving 1/2hr to the doctor, then waiting at the office..... so somedays with the travel, wait time and actual appointment time it takes 2-3 hrs out of my day. I WISH they would just fax an Rx- then it would take me 10-20 min to pick it up (depending on how fast the pharmacy is).
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately you are not the only patient of the doctor. Maybe lunchtime is the only free time he has. My doctor is so busy she isn't able to take a lunch most days. If it is that serious and your baby is in such pain go to urgent care.
    Anonymous

• All I can say is I've worked at many doctors offices before and know how you feel. Most doctors treat their messages on the bases of emergency. Yeah, your child has strep throat but maybe your doctor is dealing with another real emergency. It's also a Monday. Doctors get busy and sometimes it happens when they least expect it. Good luck, be patient and I hope your family gets better.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Doctors are busy*
    LovingSAHMommy