What es you crave things when you are pregnant?

I just started thinking what makes you crave whatever it is you are craving when you are pregnant? Also why do pregnant women crave pickles or ice cream a lot? I honestly didn't crave pickles with my 2 girls, but this time around I crave them a lot

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i dont no but for some reason im craving jelly beans all the time !!!! lol
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I crave pickles and ice cream even if I'm not pregnant, lol,
    my 1st pregnancy it was cheeseburgers from mcdonalds and burger king, I would actually drive from mcdonalds eating a cheeseburger and go to burger king and get more cheeseburgers and once I outgrew that craving it was sweet potatoes
    my 2nd and 3rd pregnancy I didn't have cravings but my last one it was hot sauce and pickles or anything cherry
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• my first it was meatball hoagies, second it was reeses cups, third dove milk chocolate
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Whei was pregnant, i craved anything spicy! And i had horrible heartburn, so i would eating in tears... Knowing what an awful night of hearturn i would have, but i couldnt stop myself!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• lol. My mom said she use to crave those I think she said either me or my sister when she was pregnant lol
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Not sure why, lol..good question..when I was prego, it was cold cereal, could eat it 3x day~! :)
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It's been theorized some food cravings have to do with a lack of something in your diet. For example if you crave dairy products like yogurt, ice cream, milk, it's typically linked to a calcium deficiency. Those who crave different meats are typically lacking iron. It's been said the fast food cravings come from a lack of needed fat in the diet, because pregnant women typically try to stay away from fattening foods, and end up with not enough fat in their diet. I don't know that any of this has been proven, but I've read it in several pregnancy books and heard the same theory from my dr. I'm not sure what nutritional values pickles have, but my guess would be the person craving them is lacking some mineral or vitamin found in a pickle.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I craved grapefruits when I was pregnant.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I can not stand pickles. I eat icecream But i dont crave it.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I've never met a pregnant women who's craved pickles and ice cream. Never. That's kind of an old stereotype. I craved jalapenos while I was pregnant.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2011