How would you go about telling a family member that the tanning they've been doing is making their skin look horrible?

I have a female family member that has been going 3 times a week to the tanning beds,and her skin is dull,dry,and looks like she paints herself brown. It looks nowhere close to normal. She's only 22,but this habit is making her look about 30ish so far. Should I mind my own business,or tell her the damage she's doing is permanent? I doubt she'd even listen,but i feel like not saying anything would be like lying by omission somehow.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I'd be handing her research on skin cancer. Then I'd take her by the cemetery; a colleague of mine died of melanoma in her 30s.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would take her out and look for someone that looks like she does. Then point her out and ask what your fam thinks of the other person.
    If they say that they look horrible, I would mention that they are starting to look like that.
    If they say that they look good, don't bother saying anything since they don't notice how bad they are looking.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Unless you're very close with her and are sure that she won't get hurt and angry about it, I wouldn't say anything. Someone else probably will eventually anyway. I have plenty of relatives who do things that don't exactly do anything to enhance their looks, but unless they ask, I'm not going to point it out.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• If it were me, I'd probably say something depending on how close I was to them. I know that nobody wants to hear that they don't look good, but if they seriously look as bad as you're describing, I might have to open my mouth.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would have to tell her. She is harming herself with each session. When your skin starts to look like a shriveled up apple, it's time to say something.

gailpen

Answer by gailpen at 4:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• show her pictures of what tanning has done to some people, how bad it is for your skin and the way it will make you age. also show her how millions of people get skin cancer because of all the tanning.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Unfortunately just sit down and tell her as a friend
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 4:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• good idea gdiamante

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Someone told her to tan to alleviate the dry skin associated with her icthyosis(sp?) skin disorder

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think ya gotta MYOB - sounds like she is "tan-orexic" like so many people these days walking around looking like oompa-loompas. I saw that show what is called???? The one with people with messed up habits - like excessive tanning, eatting comet cleanser that type of thing and this poor girl looked ridiculous she tanned so much and she just didn't see it. It's almost like a body dysmorphic disorder so YOU telling her she looks ridiculous no matter how nice you are will fall on deaf ears as she bops off to tan.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2011