Best time to introduce a bottle?

I am breastfeeding and also pumping and storing milk. When is the best time to start giving him a periodic bottle (So dad can feed him) and still making sure he doesn't get nipple confusion?

CHICK106

Asked by CHICK106 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter didn't get a bottle until she was 3 months and she did fine. We use the playtex drop-ins with the big nipple. Make sure you pump out the feeding that the baby got from Dad so, your milk supply doesn't drop and your not in pain.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• 4-6 weeks. YOU need to be gone when that happens, to reduce chance of rejection. Save those bottles for when you are away from baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• When they are about a month old, to avoid nipple confusion.
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 4:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• He is 6 weeks now. Will waiting any longer be bad?
    CHICK106

Comment by CHICK106 (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I did it after 2 weeks. I would pump then give my dh the bottle to feed our daughter in the middle of the night and I would go back to sleep. She had no issue with confusion or rejection.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would just use it when needed (if needed). You can introduce it now, and baby might take to it well, but then, in a few weeks or whatever, when you need to go somewhere without baby, he might refuse it. Hhe might refuse it now, and take it when you need to use it. Just my opinion.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• We started at about 4 weeks. Early by some standards but it went fine.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Not too late. Honestly, bab9ies take them or not whenever you give them. Not is not a big deal; dad can do other things besides feed.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011