Should I make them go?

I have 2 children (6 and 8). My ex and I divorced 5 years ago, I remarried 3 years ago and my ex is getting remarried next month. His new wife won't come out and say that she doesn't want my kids at their wedding BUT she seems to be doing everything she can to make it difficult. My ex asked if they had the wedding on my weekend, could I send the children , I said yes as long as it wasn't the second week in April because me and my husband our taking the kids (the 6 and 8 year old plus our 2 year old) on vacation the and guess when his girlfriend scheduled the wedding? The second weekend of April, and she booked it after I said that. I asked my children and they said would rather go on vacation with us then go to their wedding. Should I make them go to the wedding or let them come with us. BTW the vacation is already paid for so we can't change it without losing half the money we paid. My ex says he really wants them there and I told him if he wants them there so much then he needs to tell his girlfriend they need to change the date

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• You had already discussed it with them. And the fiancee OBVIOUSLY scheduled to keep the kids away. If you make them go... well, it would ruin her day as well as blow your money. Dunno if it's worth the investment to make her a sourpuss on her wedding day.

I wouldn't make them go.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Vacation!
    gailpen

Answer by gailpen at 4:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i wouldnt make them go , and talk to ex- you knew when their vacation was ,
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I dont really have a good answer for this. If it is that important to hi, his children be there I would try to work my vaca around the wedding. Maybe change the day you are leaving or come back a day early. I also understand that it was told to him that week was taken, so I could see your point especially if you will lose money. This is not a cut and dry isue. Your kids may also feel bad for missing such an event in the future. I wish I had something helpful to say. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

On a side if the girlfriend knew about the dates then yes I would agree that either she doesnt want them there or she wants to make things difficult for you. Not the impression I would want to set if I was joining a family.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Let them do what they want. They are old enough to decide, and it is your weekend.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 4:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'd leave it up to the kids, and it sounds like they will say 'vacation'.  Too bad about the wedding, what the fiancee did was really awful.  It might be a sign of things to come with her, be prepared.  And the kids dad should put his kids first!  IMHO.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Nope - you made it clear ahead of time and obviously step-mommy dearest wants to make you the baddie here but you were VERY clear with your ex so I think YOU are in the clear here. I would not make them go.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Vacation.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Vacation but not because that was the kids' choice. They are too young to be making that decision. YOu made it clear when you were going on vacation so he is SOL.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 4:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Vaca all the way!

Answer by gemgem at 4:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011