Pocket Rocket (Motorcycle) question.......I am posting for the third time..hope it's not a repeat!!!

So, my ex-husband bought my son a pocket rocket which, he explained to me is a motorcycle for kids. He swears he wears a helmet with it but he lies a lot to satisfy me. This pocket rocket can go up to 30 m.p.h. All of the research that my Mom and I have done have shown that pocket rockets that go up to 15 m.p.h. have an age limit starting at 12 years old. My son is 5 years old. Also, this was not bought from a store. It was bought from a friend of my ex’s neighbor. I asked him what the age limit was and all that he could tell me was that it just said “kids”. Seriously my ex is the poster child for dumb ass. No kidding. My son tells me he wore a helmet and of course just loves this thing, but I am very uneasy with him riding on it. Any thoughts? Also, is he too young for a bb gun. The ex bought him that with a target as well. And this pocket rocket is not ridden in the country, but in town near a very busy street. He is supervised when he is riding it, so I am told.

raegan1221

Asked by raegan1221 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Call the local police department to find out what the LAW says about this. You can also find out from a dealership.

Bet ex will be dumping that Pocket Rocket as fast as possible if it means he gets arrested on child endangerment charges!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• well personally as long as he wears a helmet and your ex knows about how to adjust it there is a couple safety things they put on it one is an adjustable screw that controls how fast it can be driven and two there is often a tether behind it so that is if the child does get out of control or too fast it can be pulled and will automatically shut off. my oldest is 4 and she has been on everything from a regualr motorcycle to snowmobile and atv. we are currently looking for a small kitty cat snowmobile for next year so she can get into racing.
    just as long as those safety tools are used they can provide an exelent way to help with balance and can turn into a enjoyable thing.
    Anonymous

• Oh my goodness! I would be so worried if I were you. 5 year olds are just learning balance on their bicycles at this age, they are by no means proficient at steering and stopping, much less are they aware of their surroundings. All he has to do is hit his head on the ground to do serious injury or worse...and that is even while wearing a helmet. The thought of 30 mph is so frightful to me. He might be 'supervised', but realistically, if dad is standing in the driveway and son is riding this little motorcycle and he's more than 2 feet away....how is the 'supervision' keeping him safe?
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'm pretty sure it's illegal. Even those stupid little pocket rockets are vehicles, and no 5 year old (or 12 year old) is allowed to operate vehicles.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• How old are your kids?
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Thank you SO MUCH ladies for your input. I am glad to know that I wasn't over reacting. I actually talked to him and informed him how against it I am. I did not tell him to get rid of it bc, well I can't really do that. We're not married anymore...I can't control that. But he text me this evening and told me that he is getting rid of it to my HUGE surprise. This is incredibly shocking that he would actually get rid of it. But I am happy about that. Now if he actually gets rid of it..thats the real question.
    raegan1221

Comment by raegan1221 (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I just have one, and he is five and a half. He will be six in September.
    raegan1221

Comment by raegan1221 (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have seen them and definitely would NOT let a child that young ride AT ALL.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• They are NOT for younger kids.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:56 AM on Mar. 19, 2011