How can I cut down the time it takes to get out of the house?

I am a first time mom to a very feisty, spit up prone little 3 month old and I swear, it takes me forever and a day to get out of the house to go anywhere. Between getting her ready and getting myself somewhat presentable and then making sure I have everything I need in her diaper bag, it takes forever and I get frustrated when it seems like the day flies away and I don't get everyone done that I want to. Help..any hints or shortcuts would be appreciated!

dakotafriend

Asked by dakotafriend at 4:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Pack the diaper bag the night before. And shorten your to-do list... two errands instead of four, etc.

I found the diaper bag to be the biggest challenge. If not for that I could fly out the door in five minutes.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Pre-pack the diaper bag the night before with everything you need when you know you'll be going out the next day. If you use formula, don't put that in until just before you're ready to go, unless you're using the powdered stuff, then you can go ahead & pack it in pre-measured portions so that it's ready to use. Always keep another bag in the car trunk (or nearest equivalent if you don't have a trunk) all the time with a change of clothes, diapers & a blanket for "just in case". This way, if you forget to pack these things, don't have time to or happen to use all that you packed, you've got extras and didn't even have to think about it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't shorten the errand list, I do all the errands in one day. That way, I only have to go out once as opposed to every day. Pack the diaper bag the night before and even load it into the car. I would, on the day I am going out, shower and get myself presentable first thing in the morning. Then all that needs to be done is get baby ready and out the door.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Get the bag ready the night before. Keep track of what you have used that day and only restock what you took out.

As for the child...give positive reinforcement when she does it quickly. Don't fret too much over getting dressed and so on. My 3 year old has went to daycare in her jammies and it only took a couple times of it before she realized that I don't care. She didn't like being the only one in jammies. She gets dressed now with little force. Shoes are the same way. if she won't put them on, I throw them in the bag and get in the car. Once she wants them on, if I am driving, she can scream her head off...They don't get put on until I want to do it.

She knows that she has little control. I am the boss not her. I make the timeline.
    Wow! a after reading that, I sound like hitler, LOL. Aw, well, I have a well-behaved child and very little problems and when she does act up, I know something is up.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• have the diaper bag ready to go at all times, easy short cut to that is (if bottle feeding) keep a can of formula in the bag at all times along with 2 bottles of water (not a baby bottle with water in it) and 2 clean empty baby bottles, always have a couple clean receiving blankets in the bag along with of course diapers, wipe, butt cream... basically just be sure you always have an extra everything already in the bag!! that way you can just grab it on your way out the door... as for the spit up, when you put the baby in the car seat and your about to leave, simple solution would be to use a large bib or receiving blanket, also put one under the baby in the carseat in order to save some clean up...
    lilliedoll

Answer by lilliedoll at 4:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• if you're not going anywhere special, skip the make up. grab a pair of big sunglasses and just wear them around.
    keep a couple of bottles in the fridge so you can just grab one and go.
    pick yours and the baby's clothes out the night before.
    buy doubles. if you use something on a daily basis, keep one for the house and one for the diaper bag.
    instead of packing for the day, pack for the week.
    keep extra diapers, clothes, ect. in your car so you don't waste time double or triple checking to make sure you're not leaving anything.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 4:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My oldest had reflux so we lived in bibs for the first 6 months! I agree with packing the bag ahead and if the main problem is the spit up then toss a spit up friendly shirt on over whatever you're going to wear so you can just pull it off once you're situated in the car!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 4:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• we have 2 diaper bags! a big one that i carry at all times with everything we might need and a lil one with extra diapers clothes toys ect that i might need just in case! i do short trips when we r out too! only 2 hours or less! i pack the diaper bag the night before and have it ready to go! i lay out her clothes and my clothes i shower the night before so i just have to wash my face put on make up and get dressed! it takes up about 30 mins to get out the door! i didnt leave the house much when she was lil tho its just to much work! now that she is one we go out about 2 times a week!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Except for bottles, my diaper bag was always stocked and ready to go. Also, I don't think it's necessary for babies to be in shirts and pants and shoes, my daughter is 14 months and I'll still take her grocery shopping or run errands with her in her footed sleeper....the sleeper is probably warmer. When it's warmer she'll wear onsies at home and if we go out i'll throw shorts on her.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Keep the diaper bag stocked and ready to go (so, once you use something refill it when you get back so it's always ready). Getting out the door is a snap with just one. I had 3 kids under 3 and that was like a freaking circus to get shoes and coats on everyone. My youngest is 7 months and it's pretty easy. Just put him in his carseat or stroller, cover him up and go. I'm already dressed in the morning. Of course I don't believe in all that makeup and stuff. All I need to do is put on jeans and a t-shirt and brush my hair to be ready. When he was spitting up a lot we kept a receiving blanket with us (as opposed to a burp cloth).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011